got me a 88 mj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > got me a 88 mj

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 09-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
TheComancheKid

got me a 88 mj

Its a 88 jeep Comanche for 150000k miles its got 4.0 5speed i paid 1150$ for her overall it runs and drives good but it runs good while ur moveing and keeping the Rs up but wants to stall when i stop at lights and at idle the rps jump and the truck wants to stall i put a new fuel filter spark plugs cap and rotor and wires does anyone have opinions on how i can fix this or had the same problem id appreciate at

forumrunner_20120915_232903.jpg

TheComancheKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
dkroll
1989 MJ Comanche 

I had the same problem. I took it up to the dealership, and the guy I talked to, bypassed some vacuum hoses and it has been running fine since. I know the part he bypassed, but don't know why he did it nor know that vacuum path. I will do some research in this area and get back at you. It made a nice big difference, just don't know enough to explain yet. Something to do with the emissions though.
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
97_4popper
1990 MJ Comanche 

Check your IAC (Idle Air Control).
It's attached to the throttle body.

Comancheclub.com Go over there for all you need to know about these trucks.
Check out comancheclub.com...
My build thread: http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=7&t=27756
Wifes: 97 TJ 2.5 4X4 5sp 31's stock. . . Slow but; reliable.
97_4popper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Start here:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Idle Air Control (IAC) is mounted on the back of the throttle body. (front for 87-90) The valve controls the idle speed of the engine by controlling the amount of air flowing through the air control passage. It consists of a stepper motor that moves a pintle shaped plunger in and out of the air control passage. When the valve plunger is moved in, the air control passage flows more air which raises the idle speed. When the valve plunger is moved out, the air control passage flows less air which lowers the idle speed. Over time and miles, the IAC can get carboned up which can have an adverse affect on idle quality. Cleaning the IAC may restore proper function and is an easy procedure to perform and good preventive maintenance so it is never a bad idea.

CLEANING THE JEEP 4.0 IDLE AIR CONTROL

Remove the air filter cover, associated hoses and the rubber boot that goes from the air filter cover to the throttle body. Remove the IAC with a torx driver (2 bolts; one can be kind of hard to get to)

“Gently” wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body. Gasket on the IAC can be re-used if it is not damaged

Clean the IAC with a spray can of throttle body cleaner; inexpensive and available at any place that sells auto parts. Throttle body cleaner is recommended rather than carburetor cleaner as it is less harsh, safe for throttle body coatings and is best for this task. Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush and or Q-Tips. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle that protrudes from the IAC as it is fragile and you could damage it.

Thoroughly spray clean and flush where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same spray cleaner

It is also a good idea to clean the entire throttle body itself, the butterfly valve inside of the throttle body and all associated linkage as long as you have things disassembled
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

My 88 does the same thing... I'm going to replace my Cps soon. When it gets hot, it wants to stall. Nice find though. Hows your floorboards?
Unread 09-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejayZeejay View Post
My 88 does the same thing... I'm going to replace my Cps soon. When it gets hot, it wants to stall. Nice find though. Hows your floorboards?
YOU should clean your throttle body also if you never have.

CPS is not a likely suspect for hot stalling. Hot and not starting, yes.

Any of you guys done the recommended ground refreshing? C101 connector refreshing? If not, you oughta. If you don't you can spend lots of time and money replacing sensors unnecessarily.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

Mine will stall when hot. Stuck in traffic and wont start after. I started going through the grounds but not all of them.
Unread 09-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
TheComancheKid

Ill check the iac sensor i haf an ifea it mite be that and the floorboards are mint no rot or rust anywhere i love it alredy
TheComancheKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.