Getting an MJ, what to look for - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Getting an MJ, what to look for

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-11-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
cheepjeep96
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Getting an MJ, what to look for

I am thinking about getting an MJ, it's a 87' Sport truck, 2 wheel drive, Inline 6cyl, 200k+ miles (eh, abit high) looks to be in good shape, Lady said something about a idle sensor, I haven't had the chance to look at it much in person, I've only seen pictures, and exchanged emails with the person. she said something about said Idle sensor being 112, or something like that.

What all should I look for? as far as like, oil leaks, smoke, etc.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
If you only have the 1 clutch however, I'd suggest keeping it if you expect to move by anything other than 1. gravity or 2. transcontinental drift. Both are time tested to work, but you might not get exactly where you want to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapfix View Post
Scanner? You don't even have doors... :p
cheepjeep96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
rworks

Top of my list is rust, particularly in the wheel arches and bed area.
rworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
cheepjeep96
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, That was one of the things. it has 236k, so should I look for leaks, tapping, knocking, smoking, etc? I wanna what all to look for thats super-vital./
Quote:
If you only have the 1 clutch however, I'd suggest keeping it if you expect to move by anything other than 1. gravity or 2. transcontinental drift. Both are time tested to work, but you might not get exactly where you want to go.
Quote:
Unread 05-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
cheepjeep96
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworks View Post
Top of my list is rust, particularly in the wheel arches and bed area.

WAIT, You live in Kathleen GA? That's near perry isn't it? holy ****, you're close to me.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
rworks

Yep, down in Kathleen.

Other things to look for in a 236K engine? Does it start promptly? Idle around 700rpm? If not, does it idle at about 2000rpm for a few seconds and then move down to 700? Or does it stick at 2000? The idle air controller or TPS may need replacing/cleaning if so.

Leaks should be rather obvious . My 87 had some around the rear diff when I bought it, new gaskets fixed that. Honestly, at 236k the engine needs an overhaul (if not replacement). Leaks at that point aren't an issue. If you're planning on keeping a high-mile engine like that as is, then inspect the intake and exhaust manifolds for leaks/cracks/gaskets. I'd also look at the transmission for sloppy shifts. Check the fluids to see if they're "fresh" or not. Could indicate someone trying to hide problems.
Unread 05-15-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
cheepjeep96
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I'll look into it, if it turns out to be a flake. no purchase... if not, I'll just get the motor rebuilt.

You're not far from me. Sweet, we should go Jeepin' sometime.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-27-2008, 03:25 AM   #7
Abstruse
2000 WJ 

I wouldn't waste my money buying the 2 wheel drive version of this truck. It really isn't worth spending money on just to have a truck unless you're getting it for next to free (like $200 for a 2 wheel drive). My own experience with Jeeps all around though has been heating system problems, that's about it, heater cores, pain in the butt to replace, never had a Jeep that didn't have to replace the heater core on.

Jeep screwed up at the time by not making the Comanche available with an extra cab. Being a Comanche (4X4) owner for over 4 years now and loving the truck that's my number one complaint with it, no cab room. The number one thing I do like about it though is its off road capabilities and all its rear cargo capabilities. You have no off road capabilities though with the 2 wheel drive version. You'll get more out of a same era Toyota 2 wheel drive truck than you';re going to get out of this, and if you keep looking you'll likely find a same era Comanche 4X4 for likely the same price and the 4X4 Comanche is far superior to the same era 4X4 Toyota, nothing beats a Jeep when it comes to 4X4 capabilities.
Abstruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 07:37 AM   #8
rworks

While I don't agree that a 2WD Comanche is useless or pointless, I completely agree that the lack of cab space is an issue.

The problem is that Chysler killed the Comanche before the updated models could be produced. Its very likely that an extended cab version was on the drawing board, but Chrysler wanted the Dakota to be the flagship of the Dodge little truck line.

I keep hoping that Jeep will make new trucks, but they don't seem to be cooperating.
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
USN1982
1989 MJ Comanche 

buy it and sail the parts. the tail light might go for a whole lot more than the trucks worth. impala vents sold for 300 dollars each. they sold all 3 i believe. the guy only paid 250 for the car. good enough example is the seats. i have bucket seats in my truck. i hear thats not to common. i guess i got lucky. good luck. hey you can always make it a lowrider.LOL
USN1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.