Get your stock specs here! - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Get your stock specs here!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #91
ersala89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

anyone know whats the axle gearing with the 2.8 with the ax-5 has and how could you tell if you have the metric ton package

Last edited by ersala89; 03-21-2010 at 05:12 PM..
ersala89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #92
72combo

I am having an issue with a garage. It was cold and snowy out but the Comanche was leaking oil and I did not want to have too much oil in the driveway so I told me daughter to take it in and get the oil pan seal replaced since her friend messed up the new oil pan and gasket change..it still leaks. He also did the valve cover. Then since it was still leaking from the pan, you could tell it had drips in an L shape. So we took it to a garage. They said we have to shampoo it , of course....1/2 hour, Oh we can see it is the oil pan, I said change the rear main while you are in there since it's a 2 piece seal and the oil pan has to be off. He said if its not leaking don't change it. I said ok. So now a few week later its leaking still, we waiting because when he worked on one of the tranny lines was moves to make life easier but he forgot to reconnect and my daughter drove about 10 miles like this, tranny oil everywhere under the hood, I jokingly said oh good ...rustproofing. So he wiped some down and left itlike that. So I figured that is what is dripping for a couple weeks. So by now I figure it should stop but nope comeing from the back o f the oil pan even a caveman could see it.LOL Anyway I called him he said maybe its the rear main, I reminded him of our discussion he said it had a one piece main seal and the trans would have to be removed to change it. Now if that were true would he not have called me an said you want it changed it's leaking? Nope he said it's the oil pan he shampooed the engine and that is where the leak is. So what I need from you intelligent Jeep people. I have the 4 L engine...supposed 89.Oh and 2wd, does anyone know of a 4 L that year in a Comanche model that used a one piece rear main. I know the 4 cylinder does from my research but I can't find a one piece seal for an 89. HELP I need real solid info.....what years the 4.0 L used a one piece seal and what and where I would look on the engine...serial?? to be able to prove it one way or the other. This guy I feel is scamming me.
72combo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #93
AMCSportTruck
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Gearing:
3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - used with 2.5L Fuel Miser option
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually
4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and auto transmission
Now i have a 1988 Short bed 2WD "SportTruck" and my truck is configured with:

2.5 / AX-4 / D35 with 3.73 gears

I'm guessing the 3.73's are factory as my speedo is correct ?

Mike
AMCSportTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 05:50 AM   #94
jebnmikki
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCSportTruck View Post
Now i have a 1988 Short bed 2WD "SportTruck" and my truck is configured with:

2.5 / AX-4 / D35 with 3.73 gears

I'm guessing the 3.73's are factory as my speedo is correct ?

Mike
that's interesting.
I have a 86 X with a 2.8L that has factory 4.10's and the AX-5. I was told when I bought it that it was a ton package not sure but it has had the rear axle replaced with a Junk Yard unit and its a dana 35. the 35 has the tag removed and has 4.10 gears in it. I know its JY replacement cause it is marked plus it is marked they change ratio's.
Unread 11-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #95
XB12Mel
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacc59 View Post
I found some cool stuff!
*******Factory parts lists in pdf"s for 80-86 and 88-90 including MJ's********
Now that's some real helpful info!!

Thanks a million. My local Chrysler Parts department is pretty helpful, but I feel like I'm inconveniencing them when I don't have the exact part number I need.
XB12Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #96
lewt2007
1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72combo View Post
I am having an issue with a garage. It was cold and snowy out but the Comanche was leaking oil and I did not want to have too much oil in the driveway so I told me daughter to take it in and get the oil pan seal replaced since her friend messed up the new oil pan and gasket change..it still leaks. He also did the valve cover. Then since it was still leaking from the pan, you could tell it had drips in an L shape. So we took it to a garage. They said we have to shampoo it , of course....1/2 hour, Oh we can see it is the oil pan, I said change the rear main while you are in there since it's a 2 piece seal and the oil pan has to be off. He said if its not leaking don't change it. I said ok. So now a few week later its leaking still, we waiting because when he worked on one of the tranny lines was moves to make life easier but he forgot to reconnect and my daughter drove about 10 miles like this, tranny oil everywhere under the hood, I jokingly said oh good ...rustproofing. So he wiped some down and left itlike that. So I figured that is what is dripping for a couple weeks. So by now I figure it should stop but nope comeing from the back o f the oil pan even a caveman could see it.LOL Anyway I called him he said maybe its the rear main, I reminded him of our discussion he said it had a one piece main seal and the trans would have to be removed to change it. Now if that were true would he not have called me an said you want it changed it's leaking? Nope he said it's the oil pan he shampooed the engine and that is where the leak is. So what I need from you intelligent Jeep people. I have the 4 L engine...supposed 89.Oh and 2wd, does anyone know of a 4 L that year in a Comanche model that used a one piece rear main. I know the 4 cylinder does from my research but I can't find a one piece seal for an 89. HELP I need real solid info.....what years the 4.0 L used a one piece seal and what and where I would look on the engine...serial?? to be able to prove it one way or the other. This guy I feel is scamming me.
that is a common problem with the 4.0L i changed the rear main seal in a 87 Cherokee and it was a two piece rear main seal as far as i know it should be a 2 piece seal
lewt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #97
Manche87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So I was looking at an 86 metric ton package Comanche the other day. I know this because it had the AMC 20 axle rear. Only problem is idk what engine it had since it was locked. Would an 86 have the 4.0 or was it only the 2.8 then? Thanks!

- also is it safe to assume 4.10 gears as well?

- also it was an automatic on the tree
Manche87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #98
5ltretr
1990 MJ Comanche 

Metric ton package

I think I have a metric ton package, 35 front axle 44 rear axle, long bed. how do I know for sure.
5ltretr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #99
5ltretr
1990 MJ Comanche 

my 90 has a 44 with 3.54s
Unread 03-24-2011, 12:09 AM   #100
jeep_short_bx
1991 MJ Comanche 

Just reading your guys info. And I got a 1991 mj short box with a tranny cooler the power comfort switch and dana 44 in the rear also have the wireing for trailer lights. So I seems I got the metric ton package but! I remember reading on wikipedia and it said that only the long boxes came with the metric ton package and they had larger wheels from the factory. I hope that thats wrong because I want to class my truck as a one ton so I don't have to go threw air care. Got to hate aircare what a bunch of freeloading hippies.
jeep_short_bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #101
5ltretr
1990 MJ Comanche 

you have the tow package thats why it has short box what does title say for capacity.
Unread 03-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #102
AMCSportTruck
1988 MJ Comanche 

The Tow package is just a ball hitch and trailer light plug in, The in bed pay load is still only 1475lbs . . . The metric ton package increases the in bed payload to 2209lbs and was a long bed only.

The "Title" won't list the Capacity of the vehicle, Any weight listed will simply be the amount you registered it for. My 88' Comanche 2wd Shortbed is registered and plated for 6,000lbs.

Mike

1982 AM-Jeep J-5500 / 1988 AM-Jeep MJ-343 / 1992 GTA Trans AM / 2007 Honda Rubicon.
AMCSportTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #103
comanche17
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

i just bought a 1986 jeep comanche. it has the 2.5 inline 4 and 4 speed manual trans. im pretty sure its a base model because it has no ac, no power steering, only 2 gauges (fuel and speed) nothing in the truck is power. its is silver in color. i was wondering if anyone could tell me what trim package it has or if you can tell me how i can find out what it is. i keep going to parts stores and they ask me what trim package it is and i have to tell them i dont know. i can give you my vin if you need it to find out exactly what i have. thanks a bunch.
comanche17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #104
bhblaine
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Can anyone tell me what the length of the bed is for the long and short?
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #105
Madeoflite
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhblaine
Can anyone tell me what the length of the bed is for the long and short?
If I'm not mistaken it's 6ft short and 7ft long
Madeoflite is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.