fuel injector issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > fuel injector issue

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-14-2005, 02:06 PM   #1
rustybottoms

fuel injector issue

Hey fellas, i have an MJ and a leaky fuel injector. I also think that my injectors maybe clogged. Anyone have any of these issues? would the injector leak due to worn o-rings? can my injectors be cleaned? should they be replaced? any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

rustybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 05:07 PM   #2
mdfowler

I've had issues with my previous XJ with this topic. Initially, i changed the o-rings in the fuel rail, and noticed a decrease in leaking, but it still leaked. Upon further inspection, i noticed at the front of the fuel rail there is a fuel pressure regulator, that has a vacuum line attached to it. I solved my problem when i replaced that vacuum line, it was plugged from something and not allowing the regulator to recieve any vacuum.

I'm not sure about the cleaning part... know there are a lot of products on the markey, but not certain if any are really worth buying.

My e-mail is Jeeep_man@yahoo.com... i don't check the one that this forum is attached to, and it will not let me change to a Yahoo e-mail.
mdfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
89xj4x41

I had 2 leaky injectors and i was goin to just replace the o-rings but i heard that just replacing the injector is the way to go so thats what i did. If you wanna clean them, take some injector cleaner and add it to full tank. You want to also check your fuel regulator and attached vacume hoses like Mdfowler has noted. Good Luck

Nick
1989 jeep laredo - 5spd - 4.5 (3.5 RE super flex with 3/4 inch spacers up front and RE 1.25 shackles rear) - Tom Woods CV driveshaft - Tom Woods SYE kit - 31" X-Terrains -surco roofrack - fram air hog filter - pro comp adjustable track bar

Coming soon: chysler 8.25, 4.56s
89xj4x41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Jeepuzzled
1989 MJ Comanche 

Tutorial for replacing injectors

I am planning to replace all the injectors of my 1989 Comanche 4.0L ( Base model), but am looking for an online tutorial for this. This forum has a great tutorial for a 1995 Sport 4.0L, but the engine looks slightly different from my '89. The fuel connections are different than mine, so I can't follow that tutorial exactly. Any tips? Thx.
Jeepuzzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

REPLACE them with an upgrade injector that has 4 holes in the tip. Your factory Renix injectors are prone to leaking at a seam and causing engine fires.

Here's the tutorial you asked about.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/inj...ap-4-0l-92149/

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #6
Jeepuzzled
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
REPLACE them with an upgrade injector that has 4 holes in the tip. Your factory Renix injectors are prone to leaking at a seam and causing engine fires.

Here's the tutorial you asked about.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/inj...ap-4-0l-92149/
Thanks. I previously referenced that guide for the 95 Sport, but it has a slightly different setup than a Comanche. The biggest ankle biter is the Quick Connect fuel lines that require replacing clips, O rings, and spacer for each connection whenever you pull it apart. The old Quick Connect Repair kits are next to impossible to locate even from Jeep dealers.
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:04 AM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

CRB212305 is the kit. .

O-rings are 730-5017 at Napa.

Unread 05-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
Jeepuzzled
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
CRB212305 is the kit. .

O-rings are 730-5017 at Napa.
Morris 4 x 4 has the similar kit for much less. Fuel/Oil Cooler Line Repair Kit # 83502745 5/16" $8.99 vs. the NAPA CRB for $18.73. Given that you need one kit for every fuel line reconnection, the cost adds up quickly.
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #9
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepuzzled View Post
Morris 4 x 4 has the similar kit for much less. Fuel/Oil Cooler Line Repair Kit # 83502745 5/16" $8.99 vs. the NAPA CRB for $18.73. Given that you need one kit for every fuel line reconnection, the cost adds up quickly.
That's why I just use the o-rings. Just remember the plastic spacer goes between the o-rings.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.