Found a Commanche, Is this a Good Buy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Found a Commanche, Is this a Good Buy?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
ScottXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Found a Commanche, Is this a Good Buy?

Hello, everyone. I ran across one today down the street from here, I wanted to get some opinions if this is a good deal...
1988 Comanche, 4.0L, 4x4, 5 Speed, short bed.
129K Miles. No rust anywhere, truck looks new (I've never seen one this clean). It has a Navajo Cap painted to match (light/dark blue two tone). Looks like a no name 3" lift with Rancho Shocks. The control arms are not relocated, so they angle down from the subframe to the axle. Rear has springs, no blocks. Looks like a Dana 44 rear, but I can't tell for sure. 31x10.50x15 Wrangler RTS on ARE Aluminum Wheels. The truck has a Powertrax sticker under the hood, but I couldn't tell if it had a locker or not. The inside tire would spin in gravel under power, so I am thinking no? Seems to run OK, but doesn't have nearly the power my XJ has. They guy wants $3000, and I might get him down a little. I can't find one for sale anywhere on-line. Thanks for your opinions.

2006 Chrysler 300, Rollin on 20's, DynoMax Catback
ScottXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
xj#2

nah

i say its too much but thats me it may be worth it to you. but my mj has tons of power i can beat a silverado in a heads up race. so th low power might be indicative of engine trouble. you might do a compression check on it first. also check ebay for another comanche they always have a couple.
xj#2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Pete M
1988 MJ Comanche 

A 4.0L with manual trans will have 3.07 gears stock. Combine that with 31 inch tires and you have a recipe for utter boredom off the line.
Jeep on!
--Pete

My email: petermontie@hotmail.com
ComancheClub.com/forums
Pete M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
wahoosteeler
1988 MJ Comanche 

pics would help to give a true opinion, but other than the poo-joe tranny, sounds like a nice truck. if no rust and that low of miles, already lifted etc, IMO it's worth over $2k, so depending on how bad you want it???? if it's all you say, i personally would probably go up to $2500.
wahoosteeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
ScottXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the opinions fellas. My main motivation is to flip it and try to make some cash (to put into the XJ). Although it is better shape than my Cherokee, I've already got a lot of time and money into it. I didn't realize that 5 speed would be the Puegot unit, thanks for the tip. Based on the pix in your post, I would say it is a D44.

Thanks again, if I can't get this guy down under 2, I think I will pass on it. This is a great board by the way. So much info to search, this was the first time I needed to post a question.
2006 Chrysler 300, Rollin on 20's, DynoMax Catback
ScottXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
wahoosteeler
1988 MJ Comanche 

definitely no room to flip it unless you got it under $2k like you're thinking, which if he's asking $3k that doesn't sound likely. your best bet for something like that is to fall across one for less than $1k that the buyer needs some quick cash on and then flip it for a quick $500. i've seen that happen a lot and was able to do one like that myself recently. 2wd MJs seem to offer the best opportunity for that because a lot of MJ buyers know converting it to 4wd is fairly easy and inexpensive. craigslist is a good place to search. check out www.comancheclub.com. even though you're an XJ'r (we'll convert you, ha!), i'd guess half the MJ owners over there also have XJs, and considering the number of interchangable parts etc, its still a great forum for both vehicles. super knowledgeable and friendly group over there, and we've got a link to craigslist for ALL MJ postings in the country. fyi, Pete M, the guy who posted the diff pics above, built this forum........
Unread 03-31-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
Pete M
1988 MJ Comanche 

Well, not this forum (jeepforum.com). But I did have a hand in the ComancheClub.
Jeep on!
--Pete
ComancheClub.com/forums
Unread 04-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
XJnMTB
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hi-Jack! This thread seems a bit dead, so I thought I'd revive it. I, too, am an XJ'er who is looking at picking up an MJ (XJ's 4.0 took a poop at 193K ). Is $1500 for an '88 Pioneer with 90K mi and a bed cap a decent deal?

Text from the ad:
"88 Jeep Comanche Pioneer - 4.0 Straight 6, 5 speed, power brakes and steering. Burns nor leaks anything. 2 Owner. Other than rust along bottom edge of sides and rusted rear bumper VERY solid and strong running truck. 90K original miles and it shows - lots of snap, smooth shifting, strong clutch, and clean interior. NEW Baja widetrack tires and battery. Four wheel drive works flawlessly. Matching lockable topper with sliding rear window. Lots of miles left in this truck."

Craigslist Ad

This guy doesn't have the peugeot tranny, does it?

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer!
Unread 04-09-2008, 08:01 AM   #9
maddzz
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJnMTB View Post
Hi-Jack! This thread seems a bit dead, so I thought I'd revive it. I, too, am an XJ'er who is looking at picking up an MJ (XJ's 4.0 took a poop at 193K ). Is $1500 for an '88 Pioneer with 90K mi and a bed cap a decent deal?

Text from the ad:
"88 Jeep Comanche Pioneer - 4.0 Straight 6, 5 speed, power brakes and steering. Burns nor leaks anything. 2 Owner. Other than rust along bottom edge of sides and rusted rear bumper VERY solid and strong running truck. 90K original miles and it shows - lots of snap, smooth shifting, strong clutch, and clean interior. NEW Baja widetrack tires and battery. Four wheel drive works flawlessly. Matching lockable topper with sliding rear window. Lots of miles left in this truck."

[URL="http://madison.craigslist.org/car/635443197.html"]Craigslist Ad[/UR
Thanks for any help/advice you can offer!
That doesnt sound bad at all.
maddzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
flanker_13
1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete M View Post
A 4.0L with manual trans will have 3.07 gears stock. Combine that with 31 inch tires and you have a recipe for utter boredom off the line.
Jeep on!
--Pete

I have to agree with Pete M. I have this combination and it is a dog from a dead stop.

I found mine for $1300 CDN on Craigslist, and then found a 90 Cherokee 4.0L auto for $350. So at least I have parts vehicle now.

87 Comanche Sportruck
4.0L w/ 5spd.
D30 F/ D35 R
31x10.50-15 stock suspension
flanker_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
XJnMTB
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanker_13 View Post
I have to agree with Pete M. I have this combination and it is a dog from a dead stop.

I found mine for $1300 CDN on Craigslist, and then found a 90 Cherokee 4.0L auto for $350. So at least I have parts vehicle now.
So have you considered taking the axles from the '90 XJ (probably an auto) so that you could get the lower gearing? I've actually got a '90 XJ 4.0 as well (with a dead cylinder) and the thought had crossed my mind.

Also, just how bad is the Peugeot transmission? Are most of the complaints from people who want to run big tires and wheel it hard?

Other questions some of you might be able to answer:
Does this Jeep have bucket seats or a bench? I know its not a bolt-on fit, but how hard would it be to put the buckets from my XJ into a Comanche?
Finally, how easy do you think it would be to fit a Draw-Tite receiver hitch from my XJ onto an MJ? I was thinking of replacing the rusted out rear bumper with the one from the XJ as well and just installing a receiver hitch under it. Anyone ever done this??
Thanks a ton!
Unread 04-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #12
Pete M
1988 MJ Comanche 

I blew up my 2wd Peugeot with monstrous 30" street tires.
Jeep on!
--Pete
ComancheClub.com/forums
Unread 04-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #13
flanker_13
1987 MJ Comanche 

I haven't had any problems yet with the tranny. had to replace the slave cylinder though. I shift without the clutch (except to stop) everytime I drive.

I want it to blow up so I have an excuse to put the AW4 in.

87 Comanche Sportruck
4.0L w/ 5spd.
D30 F/ D35 R
31x10.50-15 stock suspension
flanker_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #14
XJnMTB
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I had to pass on the Comanche...
It was a total rust-bucket that had been touched up via rattle-can. I HATE the look of rusted out white vehicles, especially with the ghetto spray cover-up. The underside looked like flake pastry, if you know what I mean. Unbelievably rotten for the number of miles. A bit of a shame, but I should probably be getting something newer anyway.
Keep on Jeepin'!
Unread 04-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #15
wahoosteeler
1988 MJ Comanche 

MTB, i saw that truck on craiglist and, while only 2? pics w/no closeups, sure looked super nice and the low miles gets you salivating. just goes to show you you never know until you see it with your own eyes. that's BS the owner tried to pass it off as "very little rust".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.