Flat Towing 1992 Comanche -Manual 5 speed RWD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Flat Towing 1992 Comanche -Manual 5 speed RWD

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Olele
1992 MJ Comanche 

Flat Towing 1992 Comanche -Manual 5 speed RWD

I posted this in the Cherokee Forum by mistake, so here it is in the proper forum.

I recently acquired a well kept 1992 Jeep Comanche pick-up truck. It is a short bed, 2 wheel rear drive with a 5 speed manual transmission. It has the 4.0 liter, 6 cylinder engine. I would like to tow it with all 4 wheels on the ground behind my class A motorhome.

I do not know anyone that has the same vehicle, and all the opinionated experts on various web sites continue to contradict each other over whether this vehicle can be flat towed. Even some of the special interest Jeep user groups contradict each other. Some say yes, some say use a dolly, some say trailer, some say disconnect the drive line, etc.

I can't believe that this is even a question with these 20 year old manual transmission, 2 wheel drive Comanche (1986-1992) / Cherokee (1984-2001) / Wagoneers (1984-1990).

Common sense would indicate that as long as the manual transmission is placed in neutral, and the ignition position is set to allow the steering wheel to turn freely, I should be good to go - as long as I have a good base plate, tow bar, safety cables/chains, and lights.

Olele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

Straight from the horses mouth, 1992 Service manual:

And '86 since I had it laying around:

Rob
automan2164 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Olele
1992 MJ Comanche 

This is why it seems confusing. The 1986 says OK, but start up and place in 2nd every 200 miles - 1992 says disconnect driveline?
Unread 08-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

Different transmissions, and/or people failing to do the 200 mile thing, leading to roasted trannies, leading to warranty and repair claims, leading to a change in policy.

Rob
Unread 08-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

I would.
Unread 08-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Olele
1992 MJ Comanche 

Even the 1986 is a little confusing. States you can tow it 4 down in neutral, but stop at 200 miles and run it in 2nd gear (I assume with clutch in), then resume towing in "high gear", even though the first 200 miles were in neutral???
Unread 08-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

Read it again. The second column at the top states "Additional Towing Information" and the first sentence starts with "To ensure complete lubrication of all transfer case components..."

Looks like in '86 with either transmission, put it in neutral and go.

In '92, they want you to pull the shaft. Which in itself, isn't really all that much of a bear to do. 4 bolts on a stock MJ, and you have the shaft out.

Rob
Unread 08-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
Olele
1992 MJ Comanche 

Ah... When all else fails - read the instructions (carefully). Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.