Extremely Rare Comanche? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Extremely Rare Comanche?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #16
Pete M
1988 MJ Comanche 

Aha! So now we find the truth. You want a body lift.

Seriously though, hack out the fenders or adjust the bumpstops or steering stop or whatever ya gotta do to fit the big meats. Going higher is not usually a good option, whether it's a body or suspension lift.

And stop worrying about breaking the frame. You'd be the first. All you need is to either add a C-rock or custom plate at the steering box area, or a frame brace running from the drivers side to the passenger side. The weak point up front is where the steering box pushes in the opposite direction of the track bar and the frame between the 2 is subject to sheering forces and can crack (although even this issue is fairly rare). The MJ was designed to carry more weight in the bed than many fullsize trucks. 2200 pounds! Although only the Metric Ton trucks were actually rated to carry that much due to the heavy duty springs, shocks, and rear axle, all MJs share the same frame design (but I don't recommend loading up 2200lbs onto a Dana 35).

Bottom line, stop worrying!

Jeep on!
--Pete

My email: petermontie@hotmail.com
ComancheClub.com/forums
Pete M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2008, 03:29 AM   #17
Abstruse
2000 WJ 

Alright Pete, I'll stop worrying about it breaking, I have put it through some rough stuff and that little truck never stops amazing me, but you're right, I want to do a 2" body lift on it to get my 6" lift and the 35" tires to clear nicely. I thought at first the tires would just beat the fenders into place where needed, I'm fine with that. This hasn't been the case though, instead my fenders have cut groves into my expensive tires (I paid more for the tires and rims than the truck).

I'm not affraid of the cosmetic look of cutting away my fenders, too much, I've seen many other vehicles cut away that look good. I have a plasma cutter and a hand grinder, but what do you do with the inside wheel wells when you cut the fenders away, and, how do you support whats left of the fender so it isn't just flopping in the breeze?

Yes I want to do a body lift, that would make all my problems solved cheaply and easily. I went to a body shop once, they wanted $2000 just to cut it out and make it look good, I left there and never looked back, way too much money just to cut some metal out.

On the point of more clearance by not having a frame, yep, I was looking at a CJ the other day and even with its 6" lift there was probably 6" of frame hanging under it that I have clearanece over, so that was certanly a point well made.
Abstruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #18
Pete M
1988 MJ Comanche 

Inside the plastic fender flare is a sharp piece of metal that points down like a razor blade. You aren't the first to find it.
This should help with some ideas for trimming:
http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10254
Jeep on!
--Pete
My email: petermontie@hotmail.com
ComancheClub.com/forums
Pete M is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.