Driveshafts... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Driveshafts...

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and AxleFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Driveshafts...

I've just finished helping my son get his Comance back on the road..
The BA5/10 started knocking.
Since trannys was in short supply and he wanted a 4x4 anyway,
I chased down an XJ 4x4 with a AX15 and NP231 and we began to work.
So I had the tranny/xfer case in it and all hooked up, but what to do about the rear shaft. With none in he salvage yards, I had pulled the engine from a Licoln Town Car and thought wtf I'm a pack rat so its got to be here someplace.

We found it today and I took the measurements and put a fresh cut off wheel on the 4" grinder and carefully started cutting/welding.

The plus side of the Ford Shaft is it uses the same U-Joints as the Cherokee so there is nothing to remember later...

Cutting a shaft is straight forward,
Use the cut-off wheel and carefully follow the weld around the shaft, when you think your deep enough about 1/8" take your hammer and try knocking the cap out of the shaft. If it doesn't move inspect and cut some more.

GEtting a straight line for your next cut is as simple as using a pieces of paper and wrap it around the shaft and line up the edges and tape it into place. I use a soapstone or pencil to draw the line so I have a perfect line around it.

Once I have it cut i use a square edge and make sure its straight and then knock the cap back in and weld it up.

I called a local place this morning about making a shaft, just to replace the tube with a longer one they wanted $200

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.