does a Longbed Comanche have good off road capability? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > does a Longbed Comanche have good off road capability?

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
steffenhagen
2003 TJ Wrangler 

does a Longbed Comanche have good off road capability?

I bought a 1990 longbed Comanche a few months ago and I've been liking it, I haven't gotten around to off roading yet, which is pretty much what I bought it for, but hopefully I'll get a chance to take it pretty soon.

Anyways, all my friends with off road rigs are telling me my comanche won't have any off road capability due to it's long wheelbase. it's only 119.5 inches, is that too long for a good off road rig? or will it do fine?

steffenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
CJXJMJ

People wheel long beds all the time, it'll workout great the only thing I'd be worried about is tight trails but it's the same with the grand wagoneers and J-10s they all do great offroad.
CJXJMJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

The worst part of a longbed is the departure angle. Prepare to drag your *** on everything. With some creative trimming, and a bumper worthy of taking some brunt, you'll do fine.

Rob
automan2164 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
mj40
1989 MJ Comanche 

yes, the great departure angles....and mines a short bed, but the bumper works great as a skidder....lol
may have to try it again this spring with the added lift....
mj40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
nickhuts
1990 MJ Comanche 

I have the same truck.. here is what I am doing with my bed and also going to cut off the frame...

nickhuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
XJohnnyC

LWB Comanches are very capable offroad. The longer wheelbase helps out in many situations. It helps if you don't care about body damage. Like my friend seen here on Escalator in Moab.

XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
87jeepcomanche

You should have any problems as long as you don't mind a little bumper dragging and maybe some scratches and dents on the bed
87jeepcomanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
comanche , long wheelbase , off road , off-road , wheel base

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.