Differential stuff - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Differential stuff

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-10-2005, 04:03 PM   #1
MJDriver

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Differential stuff

So I just bought the Comanche a few months ago, and for the first time cracked open the diffs, today. The front diff is fine, fluid's a good color and decent level. The rear is a charcoal grey color and nasty. Its a Dana 44.

- Does this mean it got water in it or the fluid heated up too much?
- I found a tag that says "Use Limited Slip Diff Oil Only"...Does this mean I have the Trac-lok diff?
- What is this oil and why doesn't the Chilton Manual mention it?

Last edited by MJDriver; 02-10-2005 at 06:28 PM..
MJDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
cj7xjmj

A slight grey tinge is normal. The limited slip additive is available at the local auto parts stores, should only cost a few bucks, or you could run synthetic which all ready has this additive. I am not sure wether it means you have a trac-lock diff, but it could mean that.

While you are replacing the fluid, it is a good time to replace your vent tube. They tend to dry rot within a yr or so, and you dont want to be like me and destroy an axle cause of 3 dollars worth of rubber.

Patrick
If you have to ask why... Its a truggy thing and you wouldn't understand
cj7xjmj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2005, 06:30 PM   #3
MJDriver

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Vent tube? I'm sure it must be shot because the only tubes I see are brake lines.

Where is it located, what diameter and how long should the tubing be? Is it held on by itself or a ring clamp?

By the way, thanks for the heads up. Also, the fluid was charcoal grey/black. Ugh.
Unread 02-10-2005, 07:21 PM   #4
cj7xjmj

There should be a nipple or something similar to it close to where the rear flex line connects to the axle. It should run a pretyy narrow diameter tube up from the axle to the frame if not higher. It is used to let the oil have room to breathe.

Patrick
If you have to ask why... Its a truggy thing and you wouldn't understand
cj7xjmj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2005, 11:07 PM   #5
MJDriver

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. The whole diff is coated in gunk, so I'll clean it and find the spot you're talkng about.

Thanks again.
Unread 02-12-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
MJDriver

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I found the tube. Aside from the axles being coated in gunk the tube was in good shape, and very pliable. I will just have to keep an eye on the fluid and see how it does, I guess.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.