Death Wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Death Wobble

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
jerms909
1989 MJ Comanche 

Death Wobble

Hey guys i have an 89 comanche and at 50 mph it shakes violently. Ive changed front suspension,coils, had tires balanced but its not cured. If anyone has a REAL answer please let me know. No bs fellas!

jerms909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
gus7

i had the bushings fail on the control arms plus control arm on the left side broke a yoke ...on the inside toward the body snapped ...that sheet steel arms are very weak .....so look for better ....
gus7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #3
hillbilly51
1988 MJ Comanche 

I would honestly like to know the answer to your question.
I have a 88 Model Comanche Chief that has the "Death Wobble".
Strange thing is that it's completely random.

I can sometimes go for 6 months or more with absolutely no problem.
It seems if I hit the correct speed and the right bump in the road at the same time, away she goes......

I had it happen once on the Interstate highway when I was pulling a trailer with a yard tractor behind me.
I was running in the right lane with a Semi directly beside me on my left when "It" happened.
I thought I was a goner for sure.
Luckily I was able to "wobble" on over to the shoulder and slow down enough for it to stop.

It's scared me so bad that I won't let my wife drive the truck anymore.
I can't find anything wrong in the front suspension.
I truly believe that it's caused by a mistake in the design of the truck steering.

Just my opinion
steve
hillbilly51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I would check the TRE's closely for excessive wear.
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

Check the track bar mount at the body side. It has a TRE that goes through a hole in the bracket. That often gets wobbled out and causes this.
Unread 08-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
gus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 937Comanche View Post
Check the track bar mount at the body side. It has a TRE that goes through a hole in the bracket. That often gets wobbled out and causes this.
the mounting bracket is bolted on the uni-frame ...I seen the bolts break or loosen in this area .....use of grade ''8'' bolts and lock nuts with bluetight .....
gus7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
gubachoo

this is an older post, but i had the exact same problem and it was the steering stabilizer. i went through all the things you guys went through, thinking there was no way it was the stabilizer until it was just about the only thing left i hadnt done... and sure enough, that was it. with mine, sometimes it wouldnt do it for a few weeks, but then would go crazy on me. start at about 50 and i would have to brake all the way down to 30 before it went away and then it would usually start again when i got back up to speed.
gubachoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
jeepalyn

I've had this issue, too and it starts at about 50mph. Haven't thought to check out the steering stabilizer. Maybe something worth looking into.
jeepalyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepalyn View Post
I've had this issue, too and it starts at about 50mph. Haven't thought to check out the steering stabilizer. Maybe something worth looking into.
If it is speed related may not be DW. DW is shaking so violently that often your only option is to slam on the brakes to stop it. It is almost always associated with a bump or other disturbance as opposed to a specific speed.

This, for example, is not nearly as severe as the DW I have experienced and seen first hand. This is may be a balance/vibration issue IMHO as those usually are speed dependent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnLzIkdRZR8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.