Considering picking up another MJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Considering picking up another MJ

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Considering picking up another MJ

I have the chance to own a rust free 1990 MJ with about 80,000 miles on it. It has the 2.5L and a 4-speed stick shift. It is 2WD, not a 4x4

The owner told me that at idle it ticks a little (Claims from the timing chain area). He said that when you drive it goes away. I haven't looked at it in person yet, but from the pics its as clean as can be. Mint interior, great paint, and overall, really nice.

I've never owned a 2.5L Jeep before (All mine have been 4.0L, which most have had a tick anyway). I certainly don't want to spend money on something and have it blow up as I'm driving away.

Tires are dry cracked and need to be replaced, but it supposedly has the wobble after 60MPH if you hit a bump.

I'm looking at it tonight.

Any thoughts?

vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

No one?

I didn't get a chance to check out the truck last night, but some tips would be appreciated before I do.
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

Are you looking for a DD? 2.5 are reliable, but dogs when it comes to power. If the body is in really pristine condition that alone may merit buying it, MJs with stellar rust free bodys are hard to come by.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I checked it out. Drives pretty good. Has a glasspack on it, so it's kind of noisy. The ticking isn't bad. My old XJ has a worse tick than this Comanche did. The paint is faded in spots, and there was one rust hole in the floor board (driver side), but other than that there wasn't a single spot of rust anywhere on the truck. I spent about two hours checking it over. Drove it for about 45 minutes in various conditions and it's a good truck.

Seems to just need to be cleaned up, loved, and driven.
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Also, what would be the best way to convert to an Automatic in this truck since its clean? I'd much rather drive an auto due to knee problems..
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #6
Jeepuzzled
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjz View Post
I checked it out. Drives pretty good. Has a glasspack on it, so it's kind of noisy. The ticking isn't bad. My old XJ has a worse tick than this Comanche did. The paint is faded in spots, and there was one rust hole in the floor board (driver side), but other than that there wasn't a single spot of rust anywhere on the truck. I spent about two hours checking it over. Drove it for about 45 minutes in various conditions and it's a good truck.

Seems to just need to be cleaned up, loved, and driven.
I had ticking in my '89 MJ 4.0 'til I recently replaced the injectors. Now she runs as smooth as melted butter.
Jeepuzzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah. I needed to wait a week to get some money before buying it, but I'm going to contact the owner tomorrow and find out if its still available.

Injectors would be replaced for sure.

The first order of business would be getting that awful glasspack off of it and replacing it with a stock muffler and tail pipe.
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
vaquaro
1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjz View Post
Yeah. I needed to wait a week to get some money before buying it, but I'm going to contact the owner tomorrow and find out if its still available.

Injectors would be replaced for sure.

The first order of business would be getting that awful glasspack off of it and replacing it with a stock muffler and tail pipe.
2.5 is TBI ( throttle body injected )so 1 injector only . FWIW the 4 banger is plenty lively with a manual trans , automatic not so much . Check out CC forum as well
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #9
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

And autos are hard to find that bolt up to the 2.5.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.