Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

comanche vs cherokee floor height/depth

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Ndru 
#1 ·
Sorry for posting this twice but wasnt sure whether to post in the comanche or the cherokee forum. I drove an 88 comanche the other day, and a 90 cherokee. My wife drove both vehicles also. One thing we both noticed was that it seemed like either the rockers were higher on the comanche or the floor was lower. Not a result of the actual height of the vehicle. But it seemed like once you cleared the rocker panel that you were stepping down into the truck, kinda like the high door openings on a CJ. But they didnt seem to be any higher. So.... what was the deal... is it a difference between comanches and cherokees? or a difference between an 88 and a 90. Within the same year, are they both the same from the b-pillar forward?

#2 ·
While I don't have an answer to your original question (I don't own an XJ), I can tell you that from the A-pillar forward the XJ and MJ are like 95% the same, but they are very VERY different from the A-pillar back. Oh, and all XJ bodys are essentially the same 84-96 and all MJ bodys are essentially the same 86-92. Obviously there are minor changes over the years, but in respect to the floors, the two vehicle designs stayed the same.
Jeep on!
--Pete

#4 ·
Since the MJ uses the same front doors as a 4dr XJ, I'd be very surprised if they're different. I haven't noticed any difference in the floor height of my MJ compared to the 2 86's & the '94 XJ I have... but I guess a tape measure would tell.

Oh, and all XJ bodys are essentially the same 84-96 and all MJ bodys are essentially the same 86-92.
Not exactly true... the 86 MJ and 84-86 XJ have some important differences up front... like different hoods & core supports further aft of the grill than their 87-96 kin. The 4.0L forced those changes.

#5 ·
I know the differences:D First off the Mj's floor slopes upward, where as the Xj's is pretty much flat. Also XJ seats sit higher on the seat pedestal then a MJ's. Tjis is why it is a royal pita to swap in bucket seats unless you use a 2 door xj's seat barakets, or find a Mj with buckets from the factory.

patrick

#6 ·
a4xnut said:
Not exactly true... the 86 MJ and 84-86 XJ have some important differences up front... like different hoods & core supports further aft of the grill than their 87-96 kin. The 4.0L forced those changes.
Absolutely! but that's only a small % of the whole Jeep and I didn't feel it had relevance to the question at hand. The funny thing is, usually *I'm* the stickler for adding the technicalities to general statements. :rofl:
Jeep on!
--Pete

#8 ·
cj7xjmj said:
Also XJ seats sit higher on the seat pedestal then a MJ's. Tjis is why it is a royal pita to swap in bucket seats unless you use a 2 door xj's seat barakets, or find a Mj with buckets from the factory.

patrick
I have noticed this in driving one then the other, personally being long in the torso , I like the position of the MJ better. My head sticks above the top of the windshield in the XJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.