Comanche 1986 for Sale 3.4L Crate, Weber 32/32-DGES carb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Comanche 1986 for Sale 3.4L Crate, Weber 32/32-DGES carb

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
thardman

Comanche 1986 for Sale 3.4L Crate, Weber 32/32-DGES carb

I hope a For Sale isn't off topic.

Here's a series of articles I did regarding this 1986 Comanche, 2WD. That should give you a lot of detail about the state of the engine and carb, and what date it was in that state: http://www.thomashardman.com/tech/comanche/

To make a long story short, recently I haven't had the time or energy to do my own work. Just coming out of a year of grieving but that's not really important to y'all.

I had been using a particular shop, but evidently one of the mechanics has something personal against me, and every time he fixes one thing, he breaks a few others. If you are the sort of person who doesn't mind changing water pumps or replacing an intake manifold gasket or EGR valve assembly, this might be the truck for you.

Here's the description of the MJ. It is for sale but mostly for parts, or for a serious mechanic who is looking for the basics for a serious restoration job.

1986 Jeep Comanche. Current mileage, 196,000 plus some. Engine replaced at 164,000 miles, with new GM "Crate" engine, 3.4L V6. Carb replaced with Weber 32/32 DGES synchronous downdraft two-barrel. Re-jetted and tuned for street, and it seemed to be working pretty well. Passed Maryland State emissions, legally tagged for street operation. New electric fuel pump (holley) with under-body mount, regulator is also Holley. Brakes good, A904 transmission recently rebuilt with very low-stall-speed torque converter specified on the rebuild. No trans kit, just a stock rebuild at a reputable trans shop.

Frame good, bed good, "some rust" on the body but I have been treating it with Naval Jelly (phosphoric acid get rust-reducing agent), sanding, primer paint. Needs a good stripping, sanding, and repainting. Fairly new (less than 25K miles) alternator, power-steering pump and hose within 50K miles, starter has probably 10K miles (it has been eating up junkyard starters every 20K miles or so), heater core is good with no leaks and the heater/defroster/vent switching system works. After-market very-low-cost stereo and speakers, you will want to replace these. Tires good. Entire exhaust system replaced within 5K (yes five thousand) miles.

This vehicle cannot pass State Inspection in Maryland until someone welds in some replacement floor pan metal. If you are mechanic enough to take on this restoration vehicle, and want to run it in Maryland, just weld on the floor pans and re-wire the horn to a push-button and you can probably pass inspection, maybe you would need to replace the front brake pads/rotors or rear shoes/drum. I do not know.

This vehicle is in Montgomery County, Maryland. I have a new truck so I don't have to depend on the MJ. I put a lot of love and about $8,000 into it (at least) over the last decade. If someone wants a Jeep MJ from the last year that they were made by AMC, and they've got the time and money to give it the love it needs, this could possibly be fully restored. Please contact me through this board or leave a voice-mail at 301 460 2740.

The price is very negotiable but I do want to recoup the cost of the GM "crate" engine and Weber carb, as the engine has only about 30K miles on it and is just really getting broken in and settling down for the long haul

Regards, Thomas

PS thanks you all of you Comanche/MJ folks posting here, you have been so incredibly helpful to me in the past as I researched repairs

thardman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
two_much_talk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I must have missed it somehow ... price ?
two_much_talk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
comanche , for sale , mj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.