coil and ignition - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > coil and ignition

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 04-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
romeo_zooloo
1989 MJ Comanche 

coil and ignition

I have an 89 MJ with a 4.0L and I have been having some problems keeping it running at low rpms. I have started replacing the vacuum lines just because of their age and condition. My air filter was saturated with oil and I cleaned the housing and replaced the air filter. I cleaned the throttle body area with throttle body cleaner. It is running a little better.
Last night I was looking under the hood with the engine running and saw a few stray sparks around my coil and the no. 1, 2, and maybe 5 plugs. Is this normal to lose some fire? Should the coil, wires and plugs be replaced?
Thanks
Roger

romeo_zooloo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
88xjchief
1989 MJ Comanche 

When was the last time you did a tune up? I would replace plugs, wires, cap, and rotor and see if that helps. You should not be loosing any spark.
Red Jeep club #419
88xjchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
SoloCamo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Yea, I would definitely replace the cap, wires, plugs and rotor just as pre-cautionary, especially considering the situation. As stated, you should not be losing any spark, let alone being able to see it that easily.
Tires: Firestone "Firehawk Indy 500" 235/70/15's
SoloCamo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.