Clattering: A/C Compressor? Bypass? Repair? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Clattering: A/C Compressor? Bypass? Repair?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
gregatron
1988 MJ Comanche 

Clattering: A/C Compressor? Bypass? Repair?

Hi all: I'm new to this forum and my Jeep, but not new to repairs of this vintage and older (1988)

I just got a 1988 Comanche 6 cyl. 130,000 miles. Body rust issues, but not too bad. Engine and power train look well maintained, lots of power. Seems to run fine. Burns a little oil (maybe 1/3 quart on 65 mile trip).

On its maiden voyage, a clattering appeared. It seems to be coming from the A/C Compressor pully or idler pulley. Engine performance hasn't changed.

I tried disconnecting the wire lead to the clutch, but that didn't do it. No surprise, the compressor shouldn't have been engaged anyway. The A/C hasn't worked in some time, according to previous owner, so the compressor may have run out of lubrication?

The last car I had was a '96 Dodge Stratus, and its A/C compressor seized and shredded the belt. I repaired it by trying a few different shorter serpentine belts to find one that would work with the A/C compressor out of the loop. That worked perfectly.

Is this a similar situation, or does the clattering even when the clutch is disconnected a more ominous sign?

Thanks.

PS. Any recommendations about where to get FSM or other useful manuals welcome!

gregatron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
gregatron
1988 MJ Comanche 

Here was the solution:

The idler wheel that keeps tension on the belt (located right next to the compressor) had lost all its' ball bearings! All that was required was to replace the idler. I needed to get the Jeep inspected, so I had the shop that had serviced the vehicle for the previous owner do it. They had no problem getting the part, and even with their markup and labor cost, the total expense was about $45. However, if I hadn't already pretty much diagnosed the problem, and if I didn't have my experience at dealing with repair shops, that price could no doubt have soared with the unnecessary replacement of working parts.

I learned something unrelated in the transaction. The 6cyl engine fuel injection doesn't engage immediately in most Jeeps. There's no need to give it gas to start it, you just need to let it crank till the fuel injectors kick in. It seems to take forever compared to most cars I've had. In retrospect, it didn't seem giving it gas really started the engine faster anyway, but I was concerned about a soft battery succumbing to the extra cranking.
gregatron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.