bumper/ frame mods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > bumper/ frame mods

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-20-2005, 11:08 PM   #1
motorheadmach1
1990 XJ Cherokee 

bumper/ frame mods

ok so i got stuck in the mud, forgot the unibody/ light duty bumper thing. let my buddy yank on my bumper and now its thrashed. this brought about two questions. has anyone seen a sub-frame connector kit out there for an MJ? i was thinkign if could connect the sub-frames and bolt on a beefy self fabbed bumper built of heavy guage tubing and a hitch and some hooks i could do some yanking adn pulling and not rip my truck in half or damage things.

just a side note in the meantime whats a solid point on the back i can anchor my strap to when i get stuck?

thanks, andrew

motorheadmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2005, 11:37 PM   #2
moonlight_dan
1999 MJ Comanche 

This is what you need Andrew.
http://www.jeep-tech-tips.com/front-hitch-install.html
It provides a very solid recovery point in the front and strengthens the frame. Good recovery points are a must and IMO should be the first mod anyone does. It is very easy to install and worth every penny. Here's mine.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Ben
Unread 02-21-2005, 03:57 AM   #3
cj7xjmj

If you are looking for an inexpensive front bumper that is stout Try RockLizard Fabrications. His screen name is GottabeJeep. The other option if all you want is a good Sub frame connector is Rigidco.com. They make a real stout mounting system that ties both frame rails into together. Even doubles as a steering box brace.

Patrick
If you have to ask why... Its a truggy thing and you wouldn't understand
cj7xjmj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
motorheadmach1
1990 XJ Cherokee 

i didnt even think of a front mount hitch, temporary loss of thought. thats all great information about the subframe connector ill look into that. i was more asking about the back though, for those times when you have to come out backwards my little step bumper is now shaped like an arrow.
Unread 02-21-2005, 04:15 PM   #5
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'd just buy a class III receiever, and use that for recovery.

1999.5 Ford F250
6.8l V10 l Auto l 4WD l 4" Spring Lift | 4.30 Gears | 35" Treadwright MT/R's

Youtube

Twitter
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
cj7xjmj

The class 3 Hitch is your best Option if you dont have any fab skills. I have yet to find a bumper for the MJ yet. There is hope, Terry at Rigidco sadi he is working on one, the last time I talked to him.

Patrick
Unread 02-22-2005, 06:53 AM   #7
BRC 88MJ

Front bumpers that fit on the XJ will fit on an MJ, as far as I know. ARB, Rock Lizard, Custom 4x4, Rigidco are just a few.
BRC 88MJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2005, 01:40 PM   #8
cj7xjmj

He is talking about the rear.

Patrick
Unread 02-22-2005, 04:33 PM   #9
motorheadmach1
1990 XJ Cherokee 

i have some fabrication skills and i was thinkign of making one, what i had in mind was making it out of some heavy gauge 3" tubing straight across with a 45 degree bend at each end. probably use about 2 lengths one stop the other with a big hook or shackle on each side and a reciever in the middle. i have plans to weld it to the existing bumper brackets and heavily gusset it for strength. when i make one maybe i could make some extra and sell them for almost cost. let me know if thres any interest.

thanks, andrew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.