Bought me an old comanche - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Bought me an old comanche

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 05-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
4x4Comanche

Bought me an old comanche

Hey guys so I recently purchased a 1990 jeep comanche, havent picked it up yet though. I bought it from a guy who seemed very knowledgable on it and does a bit of work including leaf over, extended driveshaft, new axles u joints, brake lines, ball joints and axle seals were all done fairly recently.

I plan on it being a DD/bush truck when going camping or fishing. I dont have much experience working on vehicles, but im always willing to learn. Right now i have a 2012 ram 1500 that ive done a bunch of things to but I need something a little more fuel efficient and something i dont care scratching up in the push and just having overall fun with.

Ive ordered new ebrake cables and turnsignal housing that ill put in when i pick up the truck, because i need to have an insurance inspection up here in Alberta.

Anyways its a 4.0l, he put different cherokee axles on, not dana 35s not 44s, what other axles are there? haha newb question im sure! Also what trannys does it come with? I know its a manual 5speed and he told me which one, but i have a bad memory

Main question is, what maintenance should I do to it when I do get it? fluids? spark plugs yada yada?

4x4Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Click on this link below and get the electrical gremlins under control right off the bat.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cru...x-tips-153657/

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
erobinson923
1991 MJ Comanche 

probably have the 8.25 axles, and i think that would be an ax15 transmission. i would recommend changing oil, differential, tcase, and transmission fluids. i also changed plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor bug when i got mine. you should also check out comancheclub.com and sign up over there. its basically the jeep forum for comanche owners. welcome to the mj family!
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
erobinson923
1991 MJ Comanche 

one more thing, pull the carpet up and make sure its not rusted out under there
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
4x4Comanche

awesome thanks for the answers! im pretty sure their the 8.25 axles like you say haha i think i remember him saying something like that? itll make ordering lifts or anything like that interesting i think...

Ill change all the fluids you suggest and thanks for the electrical gremlins post, lord knows how much i hate electrical! will be the death of me some day i think! hahaha
4x4Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Comanche View Post
awesome thanks for the answers! im pretty sure their the 8.25 axles like you say haha i think i remember him saying something like that? itll make ordering lifts or anything like that interesting i think...

Ill change all the fluids you suggest and thanks for the electrical gremlins post, lord knows how much i hate electrical! will be the death of me some day i think! hahaha
The Renix tips are simple and very likely will PREVENT them from becoming the death of you. Easy as pie. With photos....

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
erobinson923
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Comanche View Post

i think most companies that make lifts for the mj have an option to select the 8.25 axle when ordering it

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.