Bought me an old comanche - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-07-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
4x4Comanche

Bought me an old comanche

Hey guys so I recently purchased a 1990 jeep comanche, havent picked it up yet though. I bought it from a guy who seemed very knowledgable on it and does a bit of work including leaf over, extended driveshaft, new axles u joints, brake lines, ball joints and axle seals were all done fairly recently.

I plan on it being a DD/bush truck when going camping or fishing. I dont have much experience working on vehicles, but im always willing to learn. Right now i have a 2012 ram 1500 that ive done a bunch of things to but I need something a little more fuel efficient and something i dont care scratching up in the push and just having overall fun with.

Ive ordered new ebrake cables and turnsignal housing that ill put in when i pick up the truck, because i need to have an insurance inspection up here in Alberta.

Anyways its a 4.0l, he put different cherokee axles on, not dana 35s not 44s, what other axles are there? haha newb question im sure! Also what trannys does it come with? I know its a manual 5speed and he told me which one, but i have a bad memory

Main question is, what maintenance should I do to it when I do get it? fluids? spark plugs yada yada?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-08-2013, 06:55 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Click on this link below and get the electrical gremlins under control right off the bat.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cru...x-tips-153657/

If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out.

An index to over 30 write-ups can be found in the link below

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep Technical Photos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 AM
erobinson923
1991 MJ Comanche 

probably have the 8.25 axles, and i think that would be an ax15 transmission. i would recommend changing oil, differential, tcase, and transmission fluids. i also changed plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor bug when i got mine. you should also check out comancheclub.com and sign up over there. its basically the jeep forum for comanche owners. welcome to the mj family!

91 comanche 4x4, 4.0, 5 speed, 2" BB, 31x10.50x15 mastercraft courser mt's
post #4 of 7 Old 05-08-2013, 10:48 AM
erobinson923
1991 MJ Comanche 

one more thing, pull the carpet up and make sure its not rusted out under there

post #5 of 7 Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
4x4Comanche

awesome thanks for the answers! im pretty sure their the 8.25 axles like you say haha i think i remember him saying something like that? itll make ordering lifts or anything like that interesting i think...

Ill change all the fluids you suggest and thanks for the electrical gremlins post, lord knows how much i hate electrical! will be the death of me some day i think! hahaha
post #6 of 7 Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Comanche View Post
awesome thanks for the answers! im pretty sure their the 8.25 axles like you say haha i think i remember him saying something like that? itll make ordering lifts or anything like that interesting i think...

Ill change all the fluids you suggest and thanks for the electrical gremlins post, lord knows how much i hate electrical! will be the death of me some day i think! hahaha
The Renix tips are simple and very likely will PREVENT them from becoming the death of you. Easy as pie. With photos....

If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out.

An index to over 30 write-ups can be found in the link below

My Jeep Technical Photos

post #7 of 7 Old 05-09-2013, 03:19 PM
erobinson923
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Comanche View Post

i think most companies that make lifts for the mj have an option to select the 8.25 axle when ordering it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.