Blown engine!! Need ideas ASAP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Blown engine!! Need ideas ASAP!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
Cburnett
1988 MJ Comanche 

Blown engine!! Need ideas ASAP!

I threw a rod in my 254 stroker for no explianable reason. I receantly purchased a 88 mj , its my daily driver/toy. I have never swappeda engine. I leave for basic training in 45 days, been looking for a new engine and am over whelmed at all the options. Can some one point me in a cost effective way with a powerfull engine?
Thanks for reading and any ideas/comments. Open to all!

Cburnett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

if you have the coin to drop on it, a turbo will add a substantial amount of power, but expect fab work, and a LOT of tuning.

another stroker would be a good idea, poor man's 4.5l would be a good option (lookup Dino's stroker pg), but parts would be hard to come buy (not enough time). Hesco, Golen and Titan, are a few companies that make "bolt-in" strokers, but they can be pretty pricey.

chevy 350, a little more complex, transmission adapter will be needed, but engines are a dime a dozen and parts are as abundant as flies at a turd factory.

those are the two most common, but if you can dream it, its been done.

check out jeepstrokers.com if your interested in building/buying a stroker.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
Cburnett
1988 MJ Comanche 

Ok thanks for the advice! I think thats wat ima do is try the 350 or just build a stroker!
Cburnett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 03:39 AM   #4
trickydick
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You could try a Ford 5.0, it's a 60 degree V-8 instead of the 90 degree 350. It might be and easier fit.
trickydick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.