Blowing fuses... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Blowing fuses...

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 09-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
blastsmith
2000 ZJ 

Blowing fuses...

Ok guys pretend I don't know anything about the truck's electrical systems. I keep blowing my dash fuse no matter how big of a fuse I use. It was working fine this morning then tonight the fuse blows. What do I have to look for to fix this? I did nothing or haven't changed anything as far as electrical systems go. Thanks for the input.

Unread 09-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
Pete M
1988 MJ Comanche 

I've had a loose wire ground itself out under the dash. My guess is there's a short somewhere but I can't be more specific without poking around in the vehicle myself.
Jeep on!
--Pete
My email: petermontie@hotmail.com
ComancheClub.com/forums
Pete M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
blastsmith
2000 ZJ 

Are there any specific places to trace the wires under the dash or do I have to chase them down behind other crap? I know the guages are easy enough to pull out but don't want to pull anything else out if I don't have to.

BTW I appreciate you taking time to answer my questions. It seems you and LEAD mostly answer the questions around here in more threads than anyone. Thanks a bunch
Unread 09-18-2007, 10:53 PM   #4
Pete M
1988 MJ Comanche 

If you have an after market radio, I would start there.
Also, what condition is your fuse box in?
Jeep on!
--Pete
ComancheClub.com/forums
Unread 09-18-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
blastsmith
2000 ZJ 

Yes, I do have an aftermarket stereo, but I don't have the dimmer or light switch wires hooked to anything, they're taped off. I hooked it up back in feb.

My fuse box looks decent but I have NO clue whatsoever of how to pull it away from the firewall. I tried pulling the screws out of it with no luck getting it farther than a half inch away from the firewall. But that was months ago.
Unread 10-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Check the lightbulb on the cigarette lighter. Mine shorted. Also the headlight switch may be bad (the variable resistor wire can flop around and short out) SHort in the interior light will do it too.
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
blastsmith
2000 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuck
Check the lightbulb on the cigarette lighter. Mine shorted. Also the headlight switch may be bad (the variable resistor wire can flop around and short out) SHort in the interior light will do it too.
The interior lights work fine from the switch. I will check out the lighter bulb tho, but it's going to wait until I figure out why the tranny won't come any further than a half inch off the engine...
Unread 10-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Pete M
1988 MJ Comanche 

I had that happen with my newest truck and it turned out that I missed a couple small screws holding the engine to the trans inspection plate (or whatever it's called). D'oh!
--Pete
ComancheClub.com/forums
Unread 10-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
blastsmith
2000 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete M
I had that happen with my newest truck and it turned out that I missed a couple small screws holding the engine to the trans inspection plate (or whatever it's called). D'oh!
--Pete
I suspect the same of mine, or whatever caused the clutch to lock up is somehow caught up inside somewhere. I'm going to look into that tonight and find out what exactly it is.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.