Back to the Jeep world, Matts MJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Back to the Jeep world, Matts MJ Build

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 08-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
MattWheels
1989 MJ Comanche 

Back to the Jeep world, Matts MJ Build

So I've been out of the jeep world for almost a year now, First started when I had my 93 Jeep Cherokee, loved it, it was a manual and it was the very first car I owned. Fast forward to 08 when I purchased my 2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ when I lived in florida for the Navy Loved every minute of that as well, but I started having issues dreaded DW, and small things here and there. In 2012 I traded in my TJ for what I paid for it! And bought a 2007 BMW328xi.

So after being out of the jeep world, I started my search to get back into it. I started with looking at 99-04 Grand cherokee's as there are some pretty sweet builds out there. And then I shifted to 05-07 Grands with the Hemi. Not wanting to pay an arm and a leg for them I started my search and fixated on Cherokee's and Comanche's. Long story shorter I finally picked up my 1989 MJ Comanche heavy project truck.

So far I've gotten the truck into my Warehouse and the Trasmission dropped out, PO said that it needed a new seal on the Tranny so we're doing just that.

While the tranny is out I'll be cleaning it up and spraying it a gloss black. Hopefully I'll have pictures up soon!

Plans for this build are to the sky.

Massive cleaning up
- All parts cleaned up and refinished with rustoleum or engine paint
- 97+ front clip swap -doors grill header hood fenders
- 97+ Dash swap
- Full Interior restoration
- 4.5 inch lift
- 33 inch tires
- paint job - still unsure what color or just full linex
- 4.7l stroker with future prospects of a turbo
- One thing I'm dreading is an updated electrical system.

Big influences on my build are

rymanrph's MJ - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9...-build-934131/

Kabowabo's MJ - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...manche-886068/

And of course

H3RESQ's MJ - http://comancheclub.com/topic/26632-...escue-2/page-2

MattWheels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Dougster123
1987 MJ Comanche 

Very cool. Some before pics are in order.... This will be good. Just what I need to inspire me to get back on track with my MJ. I'm just south of you in Salem. Are you in one of the local clubs?
Dougster123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
MattWheels
1989 MJ Comanche 

I'm not in any of the local clubs actually, havent found any, but I havent been looking to hard. Anyways here some starter pictures

And then the Tranny Real fun to get out! Getting it back in is going to be the fun part as the PO had it mostly out and now I get to try and figure out where most of the things go.

So today I fixed the Main seal, pretty easy once the tranny is out. Tomorrow I think I'll go and buy a tranny jack, imagine it'll be a lot easier to get it back in with it.

Things to do -
Go to pick and pull, it is their half price weekend! Hopefully see about getting some Dana 44's ford 8.8 or even an 8.25

Clean the tranny, and reinstall and above all, get this Manche running again.
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
ob1korobi

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sub'd. I have always liked these trucks. Have fun.
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
MattWheels
1989 MJ Comanche 

Well Two days ago I bought a 1991 Cherokee, Got the fenders and header panel off so far and I'm going to replace them with my banged up ones, taking the doors off tomorrow and going to put them on the Manche.

now I'm going to try and swap everything over, engine, ax15, electronics, wire harness, everything. might as well since I have the whole donor car!
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
MattWheels
1989 MJ Comanche 

Been a while since I updated it, But today I removed the engine, Tranny, Transfer case. Getting the engine bay cleaned up, power washed, and ready for the 91 cherokee engine after a few mods. Have to pull the cherokee into the garage get everything labeled and figure out. I'm going from an Automatic to a Manual, any idea of what all has to be removed or added in order for everything to work right?
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
MattWheels
1989 MJ Comanche 

Big day today, Got the new Wire harness all labeled, and pulled in once piece, looks just a million times better than the renix system. And then the interior wire harness all disconnected and ready to go in. Close to having this 91 engine out now!
Unread 01-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
MattWheels
1989 MJ Comanche 

feels like leaps and bounds today, got the dash, interior wire harness, and everything hooked up inside! Started working on my cherokee bucket seats and changing the brackets to my comanche ones.

Things left to complete before it's back on the road

1 Resurface the flywheel is the first thing
2 rebuild the ax15
3 get a 23 spline input shaft for the Tcase
4 drop the motor in and hook everything up.
5. rear shocks are shot, doesn't feel like anything is there.

then upgrades!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.