axle swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > axle swap

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
bgkuntry1
1988 MJ Comanche 

axle swap

i have an 88' mj and i found a cj in the scrap yard, is it possible to swap both axles out of the cj into my mj with the transfer case as well. as you may know the mj is driver side on the front where as the cj is passenger side. nothing is wrong with my transfer case i just beleive the cj has a better one. i am not going bigger than 33's.

bgkuntry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

CJs are narrower, have leaf sprung front axles, and (like you already said) have the pumpkin on the wrong side. Forget a straight bolt in, i dont even think it could be made to work, even with extensive cutting and welding.

I dont own a CJ, but i have been around them a good bit. I do own an MJ and have done extensive work on her.

the stock D30 front end is pretty capable and can handle 33s fairly well. And even though we all know the rear D35 is crap, it can handle some stress. If you to get rid of it for something better, look for either a ford 8.8, chr 8.25, or (SUPER rare) a comanche D44. There are others, but these are the most commonly known and swapped.

231 T-case is a pretty bullet proof as well for light offroading.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
bgkuntry1
1988 MJ Comanche 

You are correct ftpiercecracker, they are to narrow. However iwas lucky enough to come across a ford explorer there as well and it does have the 8.8 in it. The axle in my mj was redneck engineered and the previous owner welded the rear end together. As for the dana 300, I still grabbed it for $36 the price of scrape metal. I am going to go through it and rebuild it with the tera low 4.0-1.0 and do the transfer flip so that it still lines up with driverside. So, now my question is, after I do the spring over and the spring spacer up front, will I have enough room for 33's?
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
Pete M
1988 MJ Comanche 

going spring-over will give 5-6" of lift. you're not going to be able to match that with a spacer up front. you need a complete 5-6" lift kit.
My email: petermontie@hotmail.com
ComancheClub.com/forums
Pete M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
robertsm
1988 MJ Comanche 

I have an 88 Pioneer, 6.5" Rusty's springs and I still rub a bit at the rear of my wheel well at or near lock on 33" Coopers. If I stuff it, forget about it... I have some trimming to do.
I did the SOA in the rear it netted me around 5.5"-6" , with the engine weight it is pretty level
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
bgkuntry1
1988 MJ Comanche 

I am a welder/fabricator by trade, so as for the front springs I was going to build spacers. Today I found a chryco 8.25 out of a 98 xj, so now the rear axle bit is taken care of. I also came across a 3 speed transmission that was on an old inline 6, my new question of the day is, does anyone know how to identify what it is? I am really hoping it is a Muncie.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.