any suggestions?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > any suggestions??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
jees-comanche
1990 MJ Comanche 

any suggestions??

My 90 mj is a great truck. I like all the rock crawling and trail riding stuff but im kinda leaning towards more of a trophey truck kinda thing. Does any one have any suggestions on a motor and tranny combo that would be easy and semi cheap to install? Im a metal fabricator so i can tackle the roll cage and any other body work that needs to be done. As of now the truck has the 2.5 4 cyl in it. Not the greatest for zoomin across... well anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated

jees-comanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

why not just swap in a 4.0 and an ax 15? or even an nv3550? if you're wanting a manual trans that is
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
jees-comanche
1990 MJ Comanche 

Yea thats what i was thinking but everyone ive ever seen either has a cracked block or is automatic. My truck is already a 5 speed so i dont want to have any extra work. Hopefully come christmas time someone will have a decent motor tranny combo for sale
Unread 08-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
97_4popper
1990 MJ Comanche 

U don't have to get them as a unit.

If you can find a donor truck/cherokee that would be great and make the job easier and cheaper.

If not, you can get a motor out of 1 and a tranny out of one of the ones that has a cracked block.
Check out comancheclub.com...
My build thread: http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=7&t=27756
Wifes: 97 TJ 2.5 4X4 5sp 31's stock. . . Slow but; reliable.
97_4popper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
jees-comanche
1990 MJ Comanche 

I would need new motor mounts if i go to the inline six, correct? Anything else i would need to transfer over or fabricate
Unread 08-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
97_4popper
1990 MJ Comanche 

Most likely.
Also, the wiring harness, computer. You'll need the rear driveshaft altered or replaced. I don't know about anything else that is common or not between the 2. Radiators the same?
Check out comancheclub.com...
My build thread: http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=7&t=27756
Wifes: 97 TJ 2.5 4X4 5sp 31's stock. . . Slow but; reliable.
97_4popper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.