Another Valve Cover issue.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Another Valve Cover issue....

Flowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country small builder parts in stock!! Awesome price

Unread 01-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
TrucksBootsNGun
1988 MJ Comanche 

Another Valve Cover issue....

The aluminum valve cover was leaking like crazy even after trying two different gaskets. So i put a '97 Cherokee cover on (supposed to leak less and have less blow by) because it is not aluminum it does not heat up and expand as much. Well the leak is better but still blowing a lot of oil. Suggestions? and yes i cleaned both the head and the cover every time.

TrucksBootsNGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
TrucksBootsNGun
1988 MJ Comanche 

Found out while running a tap through the holes to clean them that the driver/exhaust side the holes are not through holes like on the passenger side. The '97 valve cover is thinner and the bolts were bottoming out. Shortened the bolts and cleaned them up seemed to have solved the issue.
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrucksBootsNGun View Post
The aluminum valve cover was leaking like crazy even after trying two different gaskets. So i put a '97 Cherokee cover on (supposed to leak less and have less blow by) because it is not aluminum it does not heat up and expand as much. Well the leak is better but still blowing a lot of oil. Suggestions? and yes i cleaned both the head and the cover every time.
Who ever told you about the aluminum valve cover and it's expansion is full of crap BTW.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
TrucksBootsNGun
1988 MJ Comanche 

Well I'm no longer finding oil in the air filter and there is not even a drop under the the truck anymore. Also the bolts are no longer loosening themselves (which they were doing with blue lock-tight on them) But even based solely on the metallurgical properties, the thermal expansion rate of Aluminum is 13.1 (microinch/(in F*)). But Cast Steel (3% C) has a thermal expansion rate of 7.0 (microinch/(in F*)). (I actually worked out how much extra force was being exerted on the bolts for EC in one of my classes) I can believe that the Cast Steel Valve cover does in fact expand less due to the fact that thermal expansion is almost half that of the aluminum cover. Having set that aside when holding the two covers side by side you can see the significant difference in the baffling between the two. Also the gasket for a '97 is much much beefer and hugs the curves better to create a much better seal.

Having said all of that the point is there is no longer an oil leak coming from my valve cover.
Unread 01-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrucksBootsNGun View Post
Well I'm no longer finding oil in the air filter and there is not even a drop under the the truck anymore. Also the bolts are no longer loosening themselves (which they were doing with blue lock-tight on them) But even based solely on the metallurgical properties, the thermal expansion rate of Aluminum is 13.1 (microinch/(in F*)). But Cast Steel (3% C) has a thermal expansion rate of 7.0 (microinch/(in F*)). (I actually worked out how much extra force was being exerted on the bolts for EC in one of my classes) I can believe that the Cast Steel Valve cover does in fact expand less due to the fact that thermal expansion is almost half that of the aluminum cover. Having set that aside when holding the two covers side by side you can see the significant difference in the baffling between the two. Also the gasket for a '97 is much much beefer and hugs the curves better to create a much better seal.

Having said all of that the point is there is no longer an oil leak coming from my valve cover.
Nor any from my 3 Renix motors with Aluminum valve covers.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.