Another belt Squeal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Another belt Squeal

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
TrucksBootsNGun
1988 MJ Comanche 

Another belt Squeal

Well I was tired of the belt squealing so i tightened and it split. got a new belt and put it on and the truck started squealing even worse. I had a spare idler laying around so I put it on because that seems to be the source of the noise and the truck just sits there and idles really nicely but as soon as you go above 1000 RPMs the squeal is there. I've adjusted the belt several times to no luck I even pulled off the idler and stuck some tranny/axle oil in it (no grease on hand) and that didn't really help. Anyone got any ideas?

On a side note any good tricks for knowing when the belt it too tight or too loose? After that belt split I'm just paranoid now.

TrucksBootsNGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Check the "bend" (aka deflection) when you push down between the 2 furthest points.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
CmpleteCherokee
1984 XJ Cherokee 

depending on how old your belts were, they could have left material on the pulleys or even glazed them a bit. May be worth checking that as well
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
dkroll
1989 MJ Comanche 

Check to see if your harmonic balancer is okay also. If you have rubber sticking out of the front of it, you may want to see about replacing it. I have had belt travel enough to eat into my timing chain casing because of this. Can't be good on the belt either!
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
zackcj7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkroll View Post
Check to see if your harmonic balancer is okay also. If you have rubber sticking out of the front of it, you may want to see about replacing it. I have had belt travel enough to eat into my timing chain casing because of this. Can't be good on the belt either!
I second this. Very common problem on the MJs.
zackcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
87MJTim
1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackcj7 View Post
I second this. Very common problem on the MJs.
+3

Ask me how I know.

87 Comanche, 4.0, BA10/5, D44
84 CJ7, 4.2, T5
87MJTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
TrucksBootsNGun
1988 MJ Comanche 

Update: so i have found that this design is a PITA to work on because if its a little too tight: squeal. Little too loose: squeal. Problem I'm having now is i can only get 3 tries or so before the belt warms up and stretches and no longer squeals. Since it goes away like 5-7 mins after starting the truck I am happy.
Thanks for all the help guys.
TrucksBootsNGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 05:34 AM   #8
dkroll
1989 MJ Comanche 

I have also sprayed belt dressing on the belt, it helps also.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.