Accelerating too slow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > Accelerating too slow

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
TCAdkins
1989 MJ Comanche 

Accelerating too slow

My 89' comanche seems like it's not taking off fast enough. It bogs down a little when I let off the clutch and give it gas. It's not every single time, maybe 4 out of 5 times. At first I didn't think it was a problem, but it's affecting my off-road capability. Without the acceleration power (because it bogs down) I'm not able to get up hills that would normally be cake.

4.0 L pushing 31" tires if that helps

TCAdkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

If this is something that has seemed to be slowly getting worse, 9 times out of 10 its going to be the result of a clogged catalytic converter.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
JeepAbout

If its a clogged catalytic converter the easiest thing to do is take the side of a hammer and bang on the catalytic converter. The banging should create enough of a vibration to knock whatever might be clogging it loose. Then driving it should work it through your exhaust. You could also buy a can of Seafoam. That will also help clean out your exhaust system. I've had much success with these methods.
JeepAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
TCAdkins
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAbout View Post
If its a clogged catalytic converter the easiest thing to do is take the side of a hammer and bang on the catalytic converter. The banging should create enough of a vibration to knock whatever might be clogging it loose. Then driving it should work it through your exhaust. You could also buy a can of Seafoam. That will also help clean out your exhaust system. I've had much success with these methods.
Ill have to try doing that today. What clogs it? I thought just carbon monoxide traveled through their.
TCAdkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
JeepAbout

I've read hydrocarbon buildup from different fuel mixtures, among other things but I never really gave it much thought beyond trying to correct the problem and moving on. Sometimes it's hard to determine how serious something is and over thinking the solution will just cost more money so consider a dealership or monkey wrench place as a last resort. If my idea doesn't work theres always other options. This site gave some other ideas: http://www.ehow.com/list_7394440_cat...on-issues.html. Take it for what you will. Good luck
JeepAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
TrucksBootsNGun
1988 MJ Comanche 

Might wana check your drivetrain. Mine was doing similar things right up until I shattered a U-Joint doing 85mph 50 miles outside Needles.
TrucksBootsNGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

When's the last time it had plugs, wires, cap and rotor?

Cleaned the throttle body?

Ever click on the link in my signature and do the ground refreshing/upgrades or sensor ground test?

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.