99 MJ questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > 99 MJ questions

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Howard92XJ
1992 XJ Cherokee 

99 MJ questions

SORRY THE TITLE SAYS 99!! It's an 88

Going to look at a comanche tommorow and have a few questions. I've owned a 92 XJ for about 3 years now so I know a little about the comanches, but not much.

It's a 1988 Comanche 4x4 4 cylinder with a 4 speed manual trans. 120,000 miles. Asking $900

Guy says it has no rust which I find hard to believe coming from Illinois. I know the floorboards and rockers are bad rust areas. Anywhere else in particular I need to check?

It's a 4 cylinder with a 4 speed manual. I've been looking for a I6 auto for a toy, but they are few and far between around here. I'm thinking about selling my 03 s-10 4x4 if I buy this comanche. That would make the MJ my daily driver. I don't put that many miles on my vehicles, but still want something reliable with decent gas mileage. What kind of mileage will one of these get with a 4 cylinder 4 speed manual? Are these motors reliable?

Anything else you guys can give me a heads up on? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Unread 12-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

If what you really want is a 4.0 auto, i would hold off for now. While the 4cyl is even more unkillable than the 4.0 it is extremely underpowered and with the 4spd behind it, it wont exactly be an offroad king. To go from a 4cyl/4spd to a 6cyl/auto would require you to replace everything except the body and bed. Basically everything under the hood, Both harnesses, and transmission, possibly T-case and shafts as well.

IMHO, I would keep that 4x4 s-10, especially if its as new as 03. I love comanches and i wouldnt give mine up for the world, but unless i could find exactly what i wanted, i.e. zero rust, no dents, decent paint, 4x4, auto, WITH a/c I wouldnt be in a hurry to get rid of that s-10

But if you've got the extra money, 900 is a pretty good deal for a comanche with only 120k on the clock. Especially if it has as little rust as what you say.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.