99 Dash install in 92 comanche - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > 99 Dash install in 92 comanche

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 09-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
martin809
1997 ZJ 

99 Dash install in 92 comanche

I just picked up a 1992 Jeep Comanche.
I also pulled a 99 dash out of a cherokee. I took the complete dash steering wheel and the wiring harness.
My question is do I have to use the harness. If so how much. I did not grab everything, but if I need to go back I can.
I know if I bought a doner and sat it next to it I would just move everthing over.
Right now I just want to complete the dash. The motor is good and I don't need to go OBII.
Yes I will change doors fender and grill eventually 97+

1992 Jeep Comanche
5 speed

martin809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
martin809
1997 ZJ 

I have tried to join the Comanche Club but can't Just FYI
Unread 09-22-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin809 View Post
I have tried to join the Comanche Club but can't Just FYI
Your CC account should be working. I just checked!

To do the swap you will need the complete under hood engine setup and harness. The gauge cluster is all digital and will only work with a 1997-1999 computer and wiring setup.

Basically, you have a big project ahead of you. Good luck!

LimeLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

There is a lot more to it than just swapping the dash. The firewall has to be modified to accept the newer wiring harness, a relocated steering column and a few other small things. Unless you want to try and make the old cluster setup work in the new dash (not sure how you would even attempt that), you're better off swapping everything to the newer '99 stuff. You can see some details in my build and there are several more here and over at the Comanche Club forums that go into detail as to what is required. The swap isn't difficult, but it will take some time. Don't plan on it being a one or two weekend affair.
rymanrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
martin809
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for the responses. I knew there was alot involved and I did'nt mind the work. I just don't have the computer or and of the OBDII stuff involved. Maybe someday I will find a complete donor and make it happen.

I was also able to get into the Comanche Club Forum....Lot of good info there!!
Unread 11-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
southpaw26

I may have the complete donor you desire.
southpaw26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
martin809
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw26 View Post
I may have the complete donor you desire.
PM me with what you have, I am in the East Brainerd area. I can go anywhere just about any time to check out what you have.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.