Found a bunch of gas tanks in the boneyard, but they puncture all of them! I didn't want to mess with trying to fix a punctured plastic tank, but I did manage to make it out of there with the vent tube and some neon injectors:
I also picked up another donor for 450 bucks. Runs and drives fine just has a little rust:
I now have an overwhelming amount of spare parts to deal with. PM me if anyone needs any parts. This new donor has a CLEAN tan interior, which is no use to me.
Continued progress on the truck this weekend. I made the executive decision to go with an AW4. It will make this project so much more simple. My life pretty much consists of constantly hating on automatic transmissions, but ehhhh I guess I will live.
I got mostly all of the underhood stuff done and also the dash mostly prepped. I decided to trace a template to cut the steering hole and I am going to fill it in with a weld and a piece of metal once I have it all in place. This just seemed very easy to deal with and the brake booster lines right up so it was easy:
I next tackled the steering mount. I decided to take the time to drill out the spot welds on the mount in the XJ. I then cut the bottom half of it off under the lip with an angle grinder:
After a simple measurement and a hole drilled I bolted it in w/ a bolt a tested it. It worked great! I encourage everyone to do this for support and because you also inherit the dash mounting stud on the bracket. I was going to weld it in, but there were so many holes in it, that I just bolted it in after drilling a few more holes in the firewall. I know a lot of guys aren't keen with a welder or don't have access to one, so this should be helpful if this is you:
Then I drilled some holes in the sidewall for the side of the bracket to fit. Use similar long bolts like the cherokee had. It mounted very nicely in there. Things quickly start coming together.
From there I cracked open the HVAC unit and went over it very thoroughly. I installed new heater core and AC evap core. You are insane if you use the old stuff. This is the perfect time to replace these parts. My heater core had a pinhole leak in it and was actually leaking down into the floor. I hadn't even noticed previously:
I only had to drill one hole to fit the HVAC unit and I cut up some old matting to cover the opening area where the evap n heater core hoses come out. It worked awesome. I wish I took a pic of that. I will get one up soon. I brought over all the firewall matting from the xj. I installed the TCM bracket and mocked in the shifters. I also got the fuse box installed. I had to drill a bunch of hole in the firewall for misc. items, but I had some good hole saws and it was a breeze:
Pretty much everything in under the hood:
Next up is the dash, doors, engine, and front end. I also ordered my Dakota tank.