88 Comanche Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > 88 Comanche Project

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
CBComanche

88 Comanche Project

So I have an 88 Comanche. Its 2wd with a 4.0 and manual trans. My plans are to do a 4x4 swap and swap the engine to a well-running 4.0. Can anyone offer any info on what front end will bolt up to mine and what engine's with be a direct fit. I have heard anything from 88 to 01 in a Comanche or a Cherokee will fit. Any advice?

CBComanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

Engine: 87-90 Renix fuel injection , 91-92 OBDI and OBDII (they will say High Output, "HO", on the back), YOU have a Renix. If you want to use an HO motor you will have to swap all underhood electronics over to HO as well.

Swapability: Front doors foward, cherokees 96 and older are 100% comache compatiable. 97+ still swapable with little to moderate modification, depending on what your plans are.

Front end: look for a Cherokee (XJ) High Pinion Dana 30 front end and a 231 Transfer case, this is going to be your best bet for a direct bolt on swap. I have not done a 4x4 conversion myself, but finding these items will get the ball rolling.

Hopefully somebody else will chime in to correct any mistakes i have made.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

OBDII didn't come out until 96. Other than that, everything is right. You also need to get a new transmission also. Because the I put spline count and depth were different from 90-91, when you get the transmission, get the transfer case that came already bolted to it. 91-99 XJ dana 30 were HP. 95+ had the bigger 297 Ujoints. Unless the pre 96 had abs. Those had the bigger Ujoints also. Pre 91 hp dana 30 were vacuum disconnect. So, unless you want to deal with getting a cable lock, stick to 91+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_XJ View Post
OBDII didn't come out until 96. Other than that, everything is right. You also need to get a new transmission also. Because the I put spline count and depth were different from 90-91, when you get the transmission, get the transfer case that came already bolted to it. 91-99 XJ dana 30 were HP. 95+ had the bigger 297 Ujoints. Unless the pre 96 had abs. Those had the bigger Ujoints also. Pre 91 hp dana 30 were vacuum disconnect. So, unless you want to deal with getting a cable lock, stick to 91+.
I could have sworn the last of the comanches had OBDII , guess i need to think before i speak (type) thanks for the correction USMC_XJ

and as for the Disconnect issues, there is a SUPER simple fix to this, so if you find one for a good deal dont be afraid to take a look, BUT if you do find a non disconnect in the same condition and for the same price got for it instead.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
97_4popper
1990 MJ Comanche 

Best to get a donor. Find yourself an MJ or XJ for a donor vehicle. I did not do a 4x4 conversion, but did an auto to manual conversion. Got a donor for $400. It's amazing the little things you will need to pull. Transfer case linkage, bracket for the linkage to name a couple. Don't forget you'll need a different drive shaft as well.

Head over to comancheclub.com. All you'll ever need to know about these trucks is over there.
Check out comancheclub.com...
My build thread: http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=7&t=27756
Wifes: 97 TJ 2.5 4X4 5sp 31's stock. . . Slow but; reliable.
97_4popper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.