87 MJ 2.5L rebuild. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > 87 MJ 2.5L rebuild.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
greaseslapper
1987 MJ Comanche 

87 MJ 2.5L rebuild.

i had a previous post "I need help! FUEL PROBLEM". it ran great for two days, but this morning i lost the fourth cylinder and could not get it to come back. I pulled the plug out and found that the plug was covered in oil residue and it was cracked. so i replaced all the plugs and wires and still had no fire. i checked the distributor it was fine. its got a new head and everything form a new coil, fuel pump, filter, new valves, rocker arms/bridges, springs. it gets way to much fuel so i think the regulator is bad. but it needs a new rear seal and i need to check the crank shaft to make sure it doesn't have movement, so im just going to take out and rebuild the motor, and fix the throttle body. is there anything else i should do while i have the motor out?

Unread 03-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Garvin
1986 MJ Comanche 

Before anything, make sure the surfaces are flat. Definitely a rear main and front main for starters. Might want to think about the freeze plugs also since it's easy to get to them with the engine out. Might as well check the cam bearings also while it's out. Not sure how in depth you're going into it but honing the cylinder walls and piston rings are also a good idea, that will up the compression with new rings and will up the power some from where it is now.
Roll Bar, 15/38.5R16.5 Ground Hawgs, Bastard lift (Custom 3-link long arm system, 4.5" Rusty's front springs w/ 1.75" spacers and 6.5" RC shocks, SOA rear), Dana 60HP/Sterling 10.25, 4.10's, Recessed winch, more mods to come...

[B]1992 Jeep Comanche 174000+ miles[/B]
Short Bed, 4.0L I6 HO, AX15, NP231
In the process of doing a frame up restoration.

...RIP...
[B]1990 Jeep Cherokee XJ 207774 miles[/B]
4.0L I6, AW4, NP231. Tom Woods SYE and Drive Shaft, Rusty's 8.0" Long Arm Suspension Lift, 36/13.5R15 Super Swamper IROK's, Dana 30 Front, Tube Diff Guard, Dana 44 Rear, 4.56 gears, Ox Locker, disc brake conversion
Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
greaseslapper
1987 MJ Comanche 

Im going to take and have it bored and balanced, get new pistons, crank, cam, lifters. I just replaced the frount main and balancer. im going to buy a kit so it will have all that and freeze plugs.
Unread 03-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
greaseslapper
1987 MJ Comanche 

well.. i tore the motor down tt the block today. oh yeah found the problem. found out why the motor has now power and why it sounded like a diesel when its running. turns out the cam was worn OUT! and bearings were so worn that the coper layer was GONE. in one of my posts that i had i said that it smoked..... thats because the cylienders are so worn that i could move the pistons.. and i mean MOVE THEM. so boring and balanceing and buying a rebuild kit is a definite. man i drained the oil and it was full of gas so yeah a rebuild is needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.