86 Comanche - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > 86 Comanche

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
yerington06

86 Comanche

Hi there. i'm new to this forum. I have a 06 Rubicon, but it is my weekend toy. I bought a 1986 Comanche about a year ago. I rushed into it, against my sometimes better judgement.Any way, my problem is that the engine won't run or idle after about two weeks, I clean the plugs, and it will run ok for about another two week or so, then foul out. It has a Webber carb on it, and will not lean out. I use it every day to go to work. I was wondering about a cheap swap, and what it would entale. I have the 2.8 V6, 4wd and automatic. If I tried to swap a 4.0 in, will the rest of my drive train be able to stay ( bell housing, transmission, transfer case), and how hard would it be to to wire up the the engine compartment. I have heard that a 3.4L V6 from GM will bolt up, but haven't been able to find any info. Does anyone have any information I can download to guide me thru this? Thanks for any help.

yerington06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
maddzz
1989 MJ Comanche 

Check out comancheclub.com I think someone there did the 3.4 swap.
maddzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
sandmanwv
1955 CJ2 

2.8 to 3.7

The 3.7 is the same block as the 2.8 and will bolt up to your 86 MJ (Chrysler) automatic transmission.

The 3.7 is a 60 degree engine that GM used as a replacement crate engine for the later model S-10s and were used in Firebirds and Camaros for a couple of years.

I have an 86 Comanche Deluxe that I have completely rebuilt mechanically and thinking about new paint.
I had the original 2.8 bored .020 with new rods and pistons, rings, new oil pump, new timing gear and chain. Crank turned .010. New valve guides, seats, valves and springs. New distributer and I lucked up and found a new Rochester 2SE carburetor for $200.00 on ebay
sandmanwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
shdbriding

If you decide to sell the webber carb let me know.
shdbriding is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.