6-8 inch lift!!' - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > 6-8 inch lift!!'

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 03-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
BigRedWilkey

6-8 inch lift!!'

What are some options to get 6-8 inches of lift on my MJ? It is a 1990 with 4wd

BigRedWilkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
86customanche
1992 MJ Comanche 

Rustys has a 6.5" kit. Itll take quite a lot of work but if you put the time and effort into it, it will certainly look great.
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
BigRedWilkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86customanche
Rustys has a 6.5" kit. Itll take quite a lot of work but if you put the time and effort into it, it will certainly look great.
They have an 8 inch one also but my question I have with it is wether or not it's an SOA. I was hoping for something cheaper as well. I'm thinking of putting a 8.25 Chrysler rear end in her and I was wondering of I could transfer the xj springs over when I do it and do an SOA and do an add a leaf or even a bigger xj leaf spring. if its possible to go this route I would just do an 10 inch xj lift in the front (because of the rake). is this even possible??? Thanks for your time!
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
86customanche
1992 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedWilkey View Post
They have an 8 inch one also but my question I have with it is wether or not it's an SOA. I was hoping for something cheaper as well. I'm thinking of putting a 8.25 Chrysler rear end in her and I was wondering of I could transfer the xj springs over when I do it and do an SOA and do an add a leaf or even a bigger xj leaf spring. if its possible to go this route I would just do an 10 inch xj lift in the front (because of the rake). is this even possible??? Thanks for your time!
Im pretty sure any brand lift kit over 5" will be SOA. The XJ leafs will NOT fit. Youll have to find MJ springs in a JY or buy new ones. You can, however, put an XJ add-a-leaf in a MJ pack, will make the lift different than stated but it will fit.
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
OriginalNVMJ
1992 MJ Comanche 

6-8 inch kit

There are no quality kits available for MJs for that lift height, you will have to do a hybrid lift kit. Save yourself a lot of money and heartache, buy a quality 4 link long arm upgrade kit (BDS) Trackbar (R/K) Front coils (T&T) You will have to put together you own soa set-up. Use long heavy duty perches, heavy duty shock mounts. SOA w/ new MJ springs gets you 6 1/2 in lift. If you want it to sit level your front needs to be 7 1/2 in lift. If you want the rear end stiffer you will have to add leafs arched to match your leafs at ride height.
OriginalNVMJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
bravojmc
1987 MJ Comanche 

O god.. My 6.5 Rustys long arm is well made and works very well! everyone can't afford a Clayton $3500 kit! lol Go with Rustys 6.5 long arm kit youll love it.
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
BigRedWilkey

What about he rusyzs 8 inch lift? Does anyone have experience with that lift?
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
bravojmc
1987 MJ Comanche 

Just asking. Why do you want to go 8"?
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
BigRedWilkey

I am planning on 37 inch tires
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
dkroll
1989 MJ Comanche 

I am working on a Rusty's 8" Long arm, but just starting on it, I am still working on the first step which is removing the lower control arm brackets, SLOW GOING for me, just a little at a time. Working on a Ford 8.8 rearend SOA and purchasing a G2 Dana 44 Axle. Can't wait to get it to be a rolling frame from this stage!
Unread 03-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
BigRedWilkey

Awesome! Keep me posted on how its going!
Unread 08-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
dkroll
1989 MJ Comanche 

Just got the front axle under it so it will roll around, but what a nightmare so far! I have so much more work to do! In order to play with the front-end settings, I must weigh down the vehicle (i.e.. stick the engine, tranny and xfer case ) under it for proper adjustments/ bracket welding locations!
This project is not easy nor fun, but will eventually be worth the blood, sweat and tears!
photo0201-1.jpg   photo0202.jpg   photo0203-1.jpg  
Unread 08-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
dkroll
1989 MJ Comanche 

And rims/tires!!
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
dkroll
1989 MJ Comanche 

Rust's 8.5 lift has no good instructions, and if I were to call them tomorrow, it would be just like a law firm,,,got you by the balls so they can sell you more because they don't know what you are doing first hand!!! I am very pleased by their products so far, just their instructions suck! They would be one of our many choices, if they could show us the process and if they would just sponsor me in this project! I would like to give some "productive" information on this product.
Until then, I guess I need to get back to the grinder!

I love this lift. I have the whole drive train out of it, and with a SOA on the back- without going to the 8.8 Ford (which is bigger), Everything is going to lay out to 8-10 inches.
I am happy about this, this gives me the space I wanted to keep her "stock-looking" with the most lift and not stupid mud tires- more so,,,
as a proudly daily driver. Just saying.
Unread 09-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #15
cody4359
1987 MJ Comanche 

when i got my mj it was at about 7" lift with SOA + shackles and RE long arm. since then i have cut that off and put on a RK 3 link. install was a bit of a pain drilling the holes but it fit nicely and is stout. its not everyones cup of tea but if you want big tires without such a tall center of gravity you can use bumpstops to limit uptravel/ put on some cutout flares like bushwacker or napier 2 door xj flares
cody4359 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.