Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2wd Comanche??

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  a4xnut 
#1 ·
I'm looking around for a cheap project vehicle, and came accross an '88 MJ with a Dana 35 3:55 geared rear, auto trans, and 2wd. It has a column shift too.

Would a 4wd conversion be out of the question for this truck, or should I just keep looking and get an original 4wd MJ?

#2 ·
Conversion is easy. However, you normally wind up being better off just starting with a 4x4 one, as you'll need a cherokee for a parts donor.

Does it have a 4.0?

Are you looking to go big (35" or bigger tires)? If so, I'd be buying an old fullsize for an axle donor.

#3 ·
I can find XJ's around here fairly easy, but I need a truck, to haul stuff, and I already have a new Wrangler Unlimited. I wasn't wanting to go any bigger than 31's or 32's.

Yes, it's a 4.0L, with 157,000 miles on it.

#4 ·
Well, I'd say look for a 87-88 cherokee with D44 rear (why not), 4.0/auto. Steal the tranny, tcase, front and rear axles, and front driveshaft. I'm probably forgetting about a million things you'll need. Might keep the extra 4.0 as a spare while you're at it...

You'll also need to get the rear shaft cut down, or go see a junkyard.

#6 ·
really depends on the price, and you location-
an MJ thats 2wd is a good truck as is...I should know :cool:
an MJ thats 4wd is better...if you "need" the 4wd.

conversion, like stated above, is easy-most everything you need is available on a 4wd donor...if you have a donor...if you dont, your buying two vehicles to make one...in which case you may have been better off buying one with 4wd already.

#9 ·
I have to agree with Ed, if you need a 4wd truck, you will come out money ahead, to just go buy one. As for being able to recoup your cost by stripping the donor vehicle.... That only works if youo have desireable parts. Right now I have 2 np242's and 2 aw4 sitting behind my garage..WHY.. no one wants an auto tranny :confused: :eek: Only if I had a few ax15's and 231's :rolleyes:

Patrick

#10 ·
NWDave - are you anywhere near Kent, WA? If so, you might wanna look into the MJ for sale here:

http://www.georgethejeep.com/ForSale.html

I don't know for sure if he still has it and I haven't seen it, so I can't vouch if it's a good buy or not, but it might be worth checking out...
Since it most likely has the BA10, you could ask them about the parts to convert to the AX-15 - they've probably got everything you'd need since they have an extensive collection of Jeeps they're always parting out.

#12 ·
cj7xjmj said:
Right now I have 2 np242's and 2 aw4 sitting behind my garage..WHY.. no one wants an auto tranny :confused: :eek: Only if I had a few ax15's and 231's :rolleyes:

Patrick
"no one" would not include people (me) who like aw4s.....and have ax15s.
if you lived closer...I`d sneak over and rob you. :rofl:

#13 ·
I personally love the AW4. Tough as you know what, and they have a decent first gear. Problem I have, they dont have a np231 t-case, they both have the NP242, which I really do not like, for a trail rig. If it was for a DD, or a street rig, it would be all right, but since I basically use both of my MJ's as either parts hauler, or trail rig, a NP 242 does me lil good.

Patrick

#14 ·
NWDave said:
I live in Everett, and work on 3rd shift at the local discount aircraft manufacturer.
Small world! :rofl: I work at the same place, only 2nd shift...

I didn't realize you were here on this board until we chatted last night at shift change!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.