2 Issues: Both Electrical - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > 2 Issues: Both Electrical

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
JeepComancher
1990 MJ Comanche 

2 Issues: Both Electrical

1)
1992 Jeep Comanche 24 5-Speed, Longbed (approx. 200,000miles)
Issue: When towing a trailer, the dash lights will burn out. Seems to be when the light brightness is adjusted(accidently sometimes when turning lights on/off). Anyone else come accroos this? (has been looked at by 2 different shops, still has issue...)
Upgraded to full gauges approx. 115,000miles.

2)
1990 Jeep Comanche 44 Pioneer Automatic.
Issue: Won't start. Picked it up in LA, drove it back to Sacramento. Drove it a few times, then it sat for a whole 5 days in my drive way. Battery holding 12.# to 12.9 volts. Just suddenly stuck in the driveway! Something simple? Or another 1990 starter gone bad for no reason... (Just replaced a dead OMIX {less than 100 mile} starter with the original rebuilt for my 1990 Cherokee Laredo 44)...

~Jeep Driver

P.S. Any ideas on building my Comanche Shortbed Trailer?? Have the bare Shortbed, 2 AMC spindles, 2 5-spoke stock Jeep Aluminum rims...

Unread 03-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
JeepComancher
1990 MJ Comanche 

3) 1990 Jeep Comanche 2x4 (146,000)
Starts when it wants too....used to... Head lights turn on, when key is turned to start, everything goes dead. A few minutes later, I can turn the headlights back on, instantly all dead when I turn the key again. Ideas?
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepComancher View Post
1)
1992 Jeep Comanche 24 5-Speed, Longbed (approx. 200,000miles)
Issue: When towing a trailer, the dash lights will burn out. Seems to be when the light brightness is adjusted(accidently sometimes when turning lights on/off). Anyone else come accroos this? (has been looked at by 2 different shops, still has issue...)
Upgraded to full gauges approx. 115,000miles.

What do you mean 'burn out' ? Does the fuse blow? Do they work perfectly normal when not towing?

Possible solutions: fuse is wrong size, hot touching ground, faulty headlight switch, poor ground

2)
1990 Jeep Comanche 44 Pioneer Automatic.
Issue: Won't start. Picked it up in LA, drove it back to Sacramento. Drove it a few times, then it sat for a whole 5 days in my drive way. Battery holding 12.# to 12.9 volts. Just suddenly stuck in the driveway! Something simple? Or another 1990 starter gone bad for no reason... (Just replaced a dead OMIX {less than 100 mile} starter with the original rebuilt for my 1990 Cherokee Laredo 44)...

Have you tried manually jumping the starter? Using a wrench jump the terminals on the starter. If it works, your starter relay could have gone bad or your ignition switch in the steering column. When you turn the key does anything happen at all?

Suggestions above.
ftpiercecracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
3) 1990 Jeep Comanche 2x4 (146,000)
Starts when it wants too....used to... Head lights turn on, when key is turned to start, everything goes dead. A few minutes later, I can turn the headlights back on, instantly all dead when I turn the key again. Ideas?
9 times out of 10 this is caused by a poor battery connection. Take the terminals clamps off the battery, if you have the slightest doubt about them, replace them. Then clean the absolute hell out of the battery studs, shiny shiny shiny, then put the clamps back on, if they are the old ones clean the sh*t out of them too. Make sure they are good and tight once reclamped. If this still doesnt solve your problem, i'll be here, waiting.

Unread 03-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
JeepComancher
1990 MJ Comanche 

1) 92MJ2WD: Burn Out, as in blow the fuse(will try to be more clear in the future), & it is the correct size. Tried 2 new headlight switches, not the problem. Battery cables and battery were replaced, good connections there. Cannot seem to find where this issue comes from.

2) 90MJ4WD: Nothing happens. Meanwhile, installing new battery cables, they were ugly. Also replaced the Starter relay, as I had one on hand. Will see what happens tonight. (Nothing happened...)

3) 90MJ2WD: Hit the negitive at engine with CRC Elcto-cleaner, started right up. Driven 3 days now, cleaned and tighten today, started right up. Now to get the idle up just abit on this one and a 90 Cherokee, both like to be below 500, and that just doesn't sound good at all...I believe I saw the TPS sensor adjustments on this forum somewhere...

Last edited by JeepComancher; 03-18-2013 at 09:50 PM..
JeepComancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
JeepComancher
1990 MJ Comanche 

Update: 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Ladredo FOR SALE: $4500.00

Options: 4x4, Power Door Locks, Power Mirrors, Overhead Console, Full Console, AC.

New HD Shocks, NEW Front & Rear Bumpers, Super Clean Interior from Junkyard, recently done Headliner. Custom Taillights, Chrome Turn Signals, Chrome Grille.

Last edited by JeepComancher; 07-03-2013 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: out of date info...
JeepComancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
ftpiercecracker
1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
2) 90 MJ 4x4: New Battery Cables, New Starter Relay (3-17-12), and only the noise of the fuel pump... (removed the buzzer...)
I bought this vehicle down in LA, drove in 400 miles back home, moved it around for a week, then it sat for 4 days, and hasn't started since.
Battery is holding 12.# volts.
Headlights turn on, they do not dim at all when key is turned to start.
Original Radio.

Tomorrow night will check the relay to starter wire.

There should be an 8 gauge wire ran directly from battery (+) to the starter.

Are you sure you rewired the new relay correctly? If everything in the cab operates normally with the key on, a simple toggle switch wired to the starter is a quick and dirty way to see if the truck will start.

Before you do that, have somebody lay under the truck and literally hit the starter with you turning the key. This has worked for me is some instances where the contacts are sticking.

1) 92 MJ 2WD: Only has the issue when towing. Works fine until a trailer is towed... (3 shops have looked at it and found nothing. 3 different gauge assemblies have been installed, headlight switch changed, etc...)

Lets think about this logically, the only time you experience this is when pulling a trailer. Is it the same trailer every time? I am beginning to think there is a short in your trailer's wiring and it is knocking out your dash lights. This would also explain why none of the shops could find a problem.

Hope it helps
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
JeepComancher
1990 MJ Comanche 

Updates:
1) 1992 MJ 2x4: See how the trailer trip to Indiana goes. New Brake setup from Crown Auto. 2 Different trailers. Plans in the works to rewire both trailers when time allows.
2) 1990 MJ 4x4: Starter rebuilt, FWD & Rear Vacuum Harnesses replaced. Starts up (07-02-2013!). (Relay wired correctly, I have 4 Jeeps, and have 1990 & 1994 TSMs. Battery Cables are better than OEM).
3) 1990 MJ 2x4: Fuel Pump had loose wire. Re-soltered on, until replacement found (Found, installed). Runs rough sometimes. Back burner for now, concentrating on 4x4.

Others: You know you should change the battery cables when after listening to the radio waiting for AAA to unlock your wife's car, then your Jeep won't start, AAA hooks up a jumper, nothing, AAA revs up, nothing, AAA leaves jumper connected and hooks up jumper cables battery to battery, nothing, AAA then has to rev-it up strong, then it finally starts.... Somehow this 94XJ is the only 1 I have not changed the cables on...although, it has started every time since, but they are ugly...

Go Comanches!
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
mj40
1989 MJ Comanche 

check the plug on the headlight switch? any melting= loose connection..
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/rep...switch-162647/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/w...-plug-1112494/
mj40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
gus7

help ?

ok two of biggest trouble areas are 1] grounds -fix run 2 battery cables one to block /other to body ...next is a trouble caused by brake fluid hitting fuse block/firewall interconnecter ... look and see if any ''green'' corrosion is there ...
gus7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.