2.5 question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > 2.5 question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
juicy
1986 MJ Comanche 

2.5 question

Ok so i rebuilding the 2.5 in my newly aquired 86 comanche yes i know everyone says boo to the 2.5 but im not building a sports car nor and i in a hurry to get anywere lol so anyways i picked it up for free because it tossed a rod out the pan and even my shop is having a ball of a time finding a rod for it...now one of my buddys offered me a 4.2 just curious if anyone knows if the rods are the same or if anyone has a part number or a engine that runs the same rods thanks in advance

juicy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
juicy
1986 MJ Comanche 

Anyone? Missing the jeep lol i hate cars
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Best bet: Find a 2.5 in a junk yard, do a 4.0L swap, or figure out how to swap that 4.2L in. For the 4.2L, I'd invest in a Weber carb, all new gaskets, and redo much of the wiring. Most of the time, Comanche's were neglected and the bodies were rotted out, and deposited at the local bone yard. Finding a clean one is tough. However, they still might have viable mechanical parts.

If yours is clean enough, I'd consider either of the three options really. If you can fit the 4.2L in with minimal work and get the motor for free or cheap, you'll have less electronics to deal with, which also means less wiring to deal with when it comes to the swap.

From my research, the 2.5L is a good motor. It's slow, not powerful, but its great for someone who doesn't need speed or power. If you want a Point A to Point B method, perhaps finding a running 2.5L is a good option for you.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
juicy
1986 MJ Comanche 

Ya me bein a dummy i found out on the program at werk that the rods from the 4.2 are the exact same motors already torn down at werk so just gotta do the machining and tear down the 4.2 to get the rods.ya mines in pretty rough shape im just glad to have a jeep again after what happened to my poor xj could use some wiring diagrams if anyones got some lotsa random wires
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
vaquaro
1990 MJ Comanche 

All the inards should be the same as the 4 litre . Swapping a I-6 into a '86 is somewhat problematic compared to '87 & newer . Firewall clearance , rad support , ECU & harness to name a few areas
Unread 07-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #6
gus7

for some boost of power ...wild way with work is easy get some ford 300 cid rocker arms i have done this to my mj ....big lift at the valve and double row timing chain set to + 4* it helps a lot ....
gus7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.