1990 MJ Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > 1990 MJ Questions

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #1
BigClay
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1990 MJ Questions

So let me start off with I know very little amount MJs and XJs, I have been a ZJ man my whole life.

I am looking at a 1990 MJ over the interwebs, and before I make a trip to go see it, I wanted to get some more info. It has a 4.0 and 35" tires on it, and I am assuming a short arm lift. A 8.8 already swapped in the rear with a detroit, stock front axle (is it a LP or HP 30?) with a lunch box locker and 4.56 diffs front and rear.

So tell me what is good or bad about this year MJ. What t-case does it have? What should I watch out for or expect?

Thanks for any comments.

Unread 02-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
Timeless
1987 MJ Comanche 

Stock tcase is a 231. Stock front axle is a HP disconnect dana 30. The disconnect sleeve is known for being problematic and many people either manually lcok it into the engaged position or replace the two piece shaft with a one piece.

1990 will have a RENIX fuel management system which depending on ones perspective is better or worse than the 91+ HO's. RENIX is pretty simlpe to diagnose if you do have a problem but it has its own quirks too. Nothing terrible though.

With any old rig, be wary of rust. Considering the PO did some work to it, make sure its not all booty fab. Expect the unexpected.
Timeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
BigClay
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
Stock tcase is a 231. Stock front axle is a HP disconnect dana 30. The disconnect sleeve is known for being problematic and many people either manually lcok it into the engaged position or replace the two piece shaft with a one piece.

1990 will have a RENIX fuel management system which depending on ones perspective is better or worse than the 91+ HO's. RENIX is pretty simlpe to diagnose if you do have a problem but it has its own quirks too. Nothing terrible though.

With any old rig, be wary of rust. Considering the PO did some work to it, make sure its not all booty fab. Expect the unexpected.
Thanks for the info!

Will a XJ non-disco front 30 bolt right in to a MJ?
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Timeless
1987 MJ Comanche 

Yes. TJ, XJ, MJ and ZJ front axles all use the same geometry. XJ and MJ front axles are all HP, TJ's vary (I think) and I know nothing about ZJ's.
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
BigClay
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I got the ZJs covered, they are factory LP D30s, no HP, but a XJ HP D30 will swap directly to a ZJ.

Are almost all XJ parts the same as MJ? Meaning if I see an XJ aftermarket part will it usually work on an MJ?
Unread 02-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

front bumper is xj, rear is dodge dakota. the xj is basically the same from the doors forward, the seats do mount different though. these things are prone to rust, and if its standard even more so due to leaky clutches.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
BigClay
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick05 View Post
front bumper is xj, rear is dodge dakota. the xj is basically the same from the doors forward, the seats do mount different though. these things are prone to rust, and if its standard even more so due to leaky clutches.
So XJ leaf springs are not interchangeable with a MJ, instead I need to look for Dakota leaf springs?
Unread 02-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

i am unsure on the leafs, but i would imagine they were the same. i was referring to the bumper itself it you are looking to upgrade. i don't know where all they grabbed parts from to make these things. i think suspension is the same as xj, along with drivetrain(except for shorter shafts), but i am sure someone else will chime in. for renix system, check here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...hread-1819634/ . someone else was talkin about renix fuel management, that might help with some of the crazy things they do
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
Timeless
1987 MJ Comanche 

Most parts, from the transmission cross member and forward are interchangeable between XJ's and MJ's. There are of course variations depending on XJ year. Nearly everything from there back is different.

Some early dodge dakota rear bumpers will work as far as I know. But not all.

XJ leafs are a different length than comanche leafs. Comanche leaf springs are SUA, XJ's are SOA. Distance between eyes is different too.

Do yourself a favor and do some reading/research on comanche club.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.