1987 comanche engine turns over wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > MJ Comanche Technical Forum > 1987 comanche engine turns over wont start

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
bob1965

1987 comanche engine turns over wont start

hi every one im new here im a wrench on motorcycles i own an 87 comanche about 160,000 miles went to pick something up a week ago ran fine there loaded up the truck turned the key would spin and try to start but no luck ..will run on spray...so i towed it home 3 hours later i tried it and it started ...today we replaced the fuel pump with correct bosch unit the pump will run for a few seconds and turn off but i have no fuel out of the tank relay is new as is filter remember it will run on spray im missing something need my truck back any ideas thanks bob

bob1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
97_4popper
1990 MJ Comanche 

Is it getting fuel to the fuel rail?

Is the fuel pump running? The ground on the back is a known issue.
It is behind one of the tail lights and is a small wire attached to the bed. Take it off, clean it and lightly sand it and where it connects and reattach.

Get over to comancheclub.com.
Check out comancheclub.com...
My build thread: http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=7&t=27756
Wifes: 97 TJ 2.5 4X4 5sp 31's stock. . . Slow but; reliable.
97_4popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
bob1965

pump runs ill thats in the post no fuel out of tank yes theres gas in it i just noticed it will crank in park but not in neutral been a long unproductive day
bob1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
mj40
1989 MJ Comanche 

one thought, it happened to me after replacing my tank... the new pump... did you replace the hose on the pump to sending unit and clamp it... i didnt and the hose split and just pumped fuel inside the tank and not out the sending unit..
mj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

There is possibly a fuel pump ballast resistor on your driver's side inner fender. White ceramic, wire to each end, bolt through the middle. Make sure connections are tight. It's OK to bypass it.
ballast-resistor.jpg  

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.