ZJ-TJ Coil Over Conversions - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > ZJ-TJ Coil Over Conversions

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #31
Dangermouse
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_2k5 View Post
When i had that set up (V8 springs up front, TJ fronts in the back) I got bad vibes which even took out the pinion seal (thank god for drive train warantee ) T-case drop could have taken care of it though. The ride quality did suffer as it made it a rough ride. My current setup though is great, the front is still stiff but at least its a nice and in-expensive lift.
So should I just keep the pucks in the rear and just go with the ZJ springs for the front?

Dangermouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #32
Chris_W_2k5
1996 ZJ 

Thats what im running, yes, and it does great off road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnburn80
...so assuming your Jeep is right-side-up you should be ok.
Chris_W_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #33
saludaranger
2004 TJ Wrangler 

coil swaps

I started with:
I had a 2" Rubicon Express budget boost with 12" RE shocks.

Then...
I put a set of v8 zj coils in the front with the bb 2" spacer on top.
I liked it. I left the rear stock coils with the 2" RE spacers on the rear.
I drove it around a while...

No shakes, nice feel. A slightly noticeable higher front end... actually looked a little bit more aggressive. No problems. I have a 4.0 TJ with heavy duty bumpers on 31" goodyear wrangler mtrs. No winch to weigh the front end down.

Now the rear...

After a few weeks I ordered an Old Man Emu track bar relocation bracket for the rear. I put the Police Interceptor coils on the rear with the track bar relocation bracket. No BB spacer - just straight up coils. HUGE difference.
I am right under 4 inches both front and rear. However I now have a vibration when I accelerate. Its not earth shaking but annoying enough that I want to fix it. I only feel it in low gear- shakes the dash a bit... I am going to drop the t case next week a little bit and see if I can get rid of the shake. The rear drive-shaft angle is significant and slightly worrisome. I am going to keep a sharp watch on everything to make sure excessive wear is kept in check.

The lift is solid and the I like the rear coils. They are huge compared to stock and you can feel the difference. Its cool.

This is an affordable way to lift a tj but - don't forget the adjustable trackbar for the rear (or bracket like I did for now) and the extended travel shocks. And get an alignment too! It might need some tweaking to get it to ride right but I think it is worth it.

I did not use coil compressors since we disconnected the swaybar, rear shocks and trackbar... this drops the axle and gives you plenty of room to squeeze those massive coils in. I rented them (coil compressors) just in case but it was easier to just drop everything.

So far so good. Just my 2 cents.
Unread 02-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #34
Patton
2006 TJ Wrangler 

saludaranger, Did you leave the factory isolator in the front? Are you planning on getting longer swaybar links?
Unread 02-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #35
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Thanks for your two cents.

Hey there,

Do you have a part number for the police interceptor coils, please?

I'm building up a custom Scrambler starting with a CJ8 hybrid trottledowncustoms massive frame with 4 coil TJ/ZJ suspension and control arm setup, so I bet those rear coils (front or rear off of the police interceptor, I don't know) will work just great for what I want. Frame's on the hoist and I just ordered the Aqualu Scramber tub. Woohoo!!!

Thanks, Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by saludaranger View Post
I started with:
I had a 2" Rubicon Express budget boost with 12" RE shocks.

Then...
I put a set of v8 zj coils in the front with the bb 2" spacer on top.
I liked it. I left the rear stock coils with the 2" RE spacers on the rear.
I drove it around a while...

No shakes, nice feel. A slightly noticeable higher front end... actually looked a little bit more aggressive. No problems. I have a 4.0 TJ with heavy duty bumpers on 31" goodyear wrangler mtrs. No winch to weigh the front end down.

Now the rear...

After a few weeks I ordered an Old Man Emu track bar relocation bracket for the rear. I put the Police Interceptor coils on the rear with the track bar relocation bracket. No BB spacer - just straight up coils. HUGE difference.
I am right under 4 inches both front and rear. However I now have a vibration when I accelerate. Its not earth shaking but annoying enough that I want to fix it. I only feel it in low gear- shakes the dash a bit... I am going to drop the t case next week a little bit and see if I can get rid of the shake. The rear drive-shaft angle is significant and slightly worrisome. I am going to keep a sharp watch on everything to make sure excessive wear is kept in check.

The lift is solid and the I like the rear coils. They are huge compared to stock and you can feel the difference. Its cool.

This is an affordable way to lift a tj but - don't forget the adjustable trackbar for the rear (or bracket like I did for now) and the extended travel shocks. And get an alignment too! It might need some tweaking to get it to ride right but I think it is worth it.

I did not use coil compressors since we disconnected the swaybar, rear shocks and trackbar... this drops the axle and gives you plenty of room to squeeze those massive coils in. I rented them (coil compressors) just in case but it was easier to just drop everything.

So far so good. Just my 2 cents.
Unread 02-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #36
Joshhamburger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Someone over in the ZJ section tested the v-8 coils and the I6 coils out of a ZJ for lift and found that the front coils out of the v-8 and the I6 net about the same lift (2-3") when moved to the rear of a ZJ. This should hold true for lifting the front of your TJ's
Joshhamburger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #37
Patton
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I really believe some others have determined that the front ZJ 6cyl coils are netting about 1" in the front of TJ's.
Unread 02-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #38
saludaranger
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Opinions... Everybody has one.
I am sure there are variables.
I am no exception. My jeep is lifted using the zj v8 coils in the front as well as the 2"bb puck. I have 4" of lift on the mark.
The rear coils are police interceptors and they are MIGHTY compared to the stock front tj coils. The ride is MUCH smoother as well. My wife who has always complained about the teeth chattering ride through the pot holed riddled city I live in... loves the new coils.

Its all up to you.
Also now that my springs have settled abit overnight (i did the rears yesterday) the vibrations are not even noticeable. I love this setup. I am going to keep an eye on my u joints just in case.

PS I do not have the part number for the police coils - but you can find them easy at junk yards and pull a parts. I paid 30 bucks for mine ( a guy pulled them for me so I paid a bit more for his trouble.)

I am no expert and I don't disagree with any of the other folks on here. I am just reporting on what I did and what happened. I will post pics later - I just hate the poser garage shot... let me go get my camera.

Before (above obviously)

No...its not a straight on shot... and yes it is on a slope (nose down.) BUT... it is a very noticeable lift... I will post up another after I take it wheeling.
PS the flat fenders help too!
C&C FAB on Ebay has them cheap and they are hardcore.

Cheers.

Last edited by saludaranger; 02-13-2010 at 12:37 PM..
saludaranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #39
saludaranger
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
saludaranger, Did you leave the factory isolator in the front? Are you planning on getting longer swaybar links?

Factory isolator? hmmm the little rubber flat piece? Yes.
Longer swaybar links... you know that is a great idea and something I had not considered.
They are really stretched and links would give extra travel! I like that idea alot.
Has anyone seen those around? Seems like a simple solution.

Something like this: quadratech

PS Make sure you trim the pigtail of the police interceptor coil or it wont fit over the isolator on the bottom of the "cup." Around an inch is good. We have seen a jeep with too much cut off and it looked sketchy. Just take a little bit at a time until it seats right. You will know it when the wait of your jeep "pops" it in place.
Thanks everyone!
Unread 02-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #40
Patton
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Something like this: quadratech

Those would be fine for the rear.
The front ones would have priority for me as they often fail on a stock setup. I have the JKS ones but they were just what I could get. There are others out there that are good to.
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #41
Caustic69

Hi guys,

I know I'm bumping an old thread here but I got here from a Google search so I figure others will too, and the information is still relevant.

I did this lift, and here are my results.

Front: Grand Cherokee ZJ springs from V8. I got 1.5 inch lift on my 2003 4.0 sport. This 1.5 figure is based on my front now being 20.5" from hub to bottom of flare. I believe stock is 19". I did not add the factory isolator from the ZJ, and only have the stock TJ isolator in place.

Rear, I used the CC865 Moog springs. It looks like I only got 2", because the back now sits at 22" from bottom of flare to hub, and I believe stock is 20". With this said, it LOOKS like more than 2" lift, but the figures don't lie.

Honestly, I'm not impressed with the results. I was looking to add 33" tires but don't think I have the clearance yet. Unless I'm off on my stock figures from bottom of flare to hub, a 1.5 front and 2" rear lift isn't gonna cut it.
Caustic69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #42
Photog2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I ran this lift on my 2000 TJ and ran 35" tires with no problem.
Photog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.