XJ XJ XJ Cherokee Cheap Mods XJ XJ XJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > XJ XJ XJ Cherokee Cheap Mods XJ XJ XJ

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-08-2006, 09:30 PM   #16
xj-xile
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Captainofiron's oil catch can for blowby

**see-through (plexiglass) catch can**
Photos and writeup courtesy Captainofiron

Instructions:

Purchase the following parts:
(the following can be purchased at home depot or lowes) (2) 1/4 NPT to 1/2 hose brass fitting, (1) 1/4 NPT to 3/8 hose brass fitting, (1) 1/4 NPT male coupler, (1) 1/4 NPT brass t block, (1) Air compressor mini air filter (plexiglass so you can see the accumulated oil)

(the following must be purchased at a auto parts store) (1) air breather with 3/8 hose connection on bottom

1. Remove your old Crankcase Ventilation line going from the Valve cover to the air box.

2. Assemble the parts as shown in the picture make sure to use either a thread sealer or teflon tape, and make sure to not over tighten the fittings.

3. Place the part where you want it and measure the hose lengths on both sides and cut the hoses and plastic pipe.
4. Attach hoses to part and connect to Valve Cover and Air box, use hose clamps where necessary.
5. Check for looseness by shaking the hoses to see if any part of the hose gets loose.
6. Also make sure the plexiglass bowl does not rub or vibrate against any other part it may rupture.
7. Turn on your engine and check for leaks.

8. When the filter becomes full, simply unscrew the plexiglass bowl and pour the ejected oil back into the engine.

Final Product:

Here's a similar writeup with some of the same part numbers + links to those parts on Home Depot's website: http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...7&postcount=29

2WD '96 XJ Country 4.0 auto -- 134,000 miles
and... see my photography

Last edited by xj-xile; 09-29-2006 at 08:17 AM..
xj-xile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #17
Captainofiron
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Works really great and it looks really cool, people always ask me if its a part for a turbo or something. All in all it costs around $20

82 Chevy K10 Silverado Single Cab, Short Bed, 3" suspension lift, 350 SBC, TH-350, NP 208C, 10 bolt 8.5 axles front and rear (open diffys for now), Warn Premium hubs up front, 33x12.50-15 BFG A/Ts
Captainofiron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2006, 07:53 PM   #18
eclipse27
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thats looks hella cool. But whats the purpose of it?
eclipse27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2006, 10:18 PM   #19
JeepFreak91

x2 what do you use it for?
JeepFreak91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #20
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

To catch excessive blow by oil and allow it to be drained there and not end up in your airfilter.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2006, 08:53 PM   #21
gatmog

its time i contributed =-]

feel free to ask me about anything you see in the pics!

i flipped my mirror upside-down for more clearance and clipped on a walmart 7$ panoramic mirror. best 7 bucks i ever spent, and it doesnt interfere with the visor movment (at least not for me, it might depend on how you like your mirror adjusted)

the harbor freight retail location had a wheel knob for 3 dollars, i bought it as a gimmick but since i drive a stick it happened to work out really well for me!

walmart sells bell cupholds in packs of 3 or 4 at a buck-fifter each i think..i clipped one to the dash bezel and screwed one into the spare tire shim thing in the back. i also keep a few handy for passengers that whine since they can be clipped almost anywhere! (rear mounted holder is the one with the brake fluid bottle in it, in case you cant see it in the pic)

for going doorless, i bought a generic mirror from GI-Joes and painted it flat black costed 7$

for trash storage, i bought this console from walmart--it straps to the back of a seat and has two cupholders plus a mid sized pocket for stuff. it also has a small folding traytable (for those meals on the road?) and two hooks to tie trash bags to.

i used to have a sub in my cubby hole, but it sounded like crap there--so after i removed it, i lined the hole with a BDU jacket and used a thick piece of wire to keep it from turning inside-out--my new ghetto rigged cubby isnt as pretty, but its much deeper and holds more stuff (also, stuff doesnt seem to fall out at all since i put pillow stuffing under the jacket).

i hope this helps someone! our XJ cheap mod database is a bit thin compared to the TJ guys' stuff.
gatmog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2006, 10:54 PM   #22
creature
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatmog
its time i contributed =-]

feel free to ask me about anything you see in the pics!

i flipped my mirror upside-down for more clearance and clipped on a walmart 7$ panoramic mirror. best 7 bucks i ever spent, and it doesnt interfere with the visor movment (at least not for me, it might depend on how you like your mirror adjusted)

the harbor freight retail location had a wheel knob for 3 dollars, i bought it as a gimmick but since i drive a stick it happened to work out really well for me!

walmart sells bell cupholds in packs of 3 or 4 at a buck-fifter each i think..i clipped one to the dash bezel and screwed one into the spare tire shim thing in the back. i also keep a few handy for passengers that whine since they can be clipped almost anywhere! (rear mounted holder is the one with the brake fluid bottle in it, in case you cant see it in the pic)

for going doorless, i bought a generic mirror from GI-Joes and painted it flat black costed 7$

for trash storage, i bought this console from walmart--it straps to the back of a seat and has two cupholders plus a mid sized pocket for stuff. it also has a small folding traytable (for those meals on the road?) and two hooks to tie trash bags to.

i used to have a sub in my cubby hole, but it sounded like crap there--so after i removed it, i lined the hole with a BDU jacket and used a thick piece of wire to keep it from turning inside-out--my new ghetto rigged cubby isnt as pretty, but its much deeper and holds more stuff (also, stuff doesnt seem to fall out at all since i put pillow stuffing under the jacket).

i hope this helps someone! our XJ cheap mod database is a bit thin compared to the TJ guys' stuff.

click free quote for ya'
Unread 08-18-2006, 08:20 AM   #23
cherokee99spt

Creature how is that wayfinder treating you?

[QUOTE=KMcNaught]If the owner of a Hummer ever threatens to crush your Jeep there is a simple means of escape; just drive off the road.[/QUOTE]
cherokee99spt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2006, 08:26 AM   #24
cherokee99spt

Creature, also how did you mount that?

[QUOTE=KMcNaught]If the owner of a Hummer ever threatens to crush your Jeep there is a simple means of escape; just drive off the road.[/QUOTE]
cherokee99spt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2006, 11:42 AM   #25
xj-xile
1996 XJ Cherokee 

[not Creature's stuff -- the other guy's, gatmog's -- Creature was just posting the pics -- you might try PM'g gatmog]

My own next project: some ignition upgrades. My present ignition coil, though only a month-and-a-half old, is dying. I know this because it is dying in the same manner the previous one did a month-and-a-half ago. So, since I've got to replace it, I'm going to upgrade a few components.

Ignition Coil: MSD Blaster SS, part number MSD-8228
Distributor Cap: Accel brand, part number 120330
Distributor Rotor: Accel brand, part number 130330

I'll have pics soon, & I'll post them in this same post. But, there are the part numbers for those that need them.

Unread 08-18-2006, 02:02 PM   #26
JeepFreak91

any more cupholder ideas? i want to keep it looking clean but the one that goes over the e-brake handle wont let me pull the brake up high enough to engauge it al the way
Unread 08-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #27
xj-xile
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It's not a great option, but you could go to the dealership & buy an OEM cupholder, then modify it for greater strength so it won't break. My wife bought me an OEM one, and it works fine, but only because I don't have large passengers (the OEM cupholder clips to the passenger side of the center console, just to the right of the shifter, and passengers tend to hit it with their knees & break it).

Unread 08-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #28
JeepFreak91

yea i think mine had it before because theres an out line where it faded from the sun. but generally how much do these run?
Unread 08-18-2006, 09:38 PM   #29
xj-xile
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatmog
Good stuff.

A bunch of the TJ stuff also applies to XJs. No real need to duplicate.

Also, there's stuff already buried in the XJ forum that I can only post links to (I've got some I haven't posted yet, including soundproofing, and about 3,200 ways to make a subwoofer enclosure).

Personally I'd like some pointers on weatherproofing or herculining the underbody, like what parts to remove before spraying, what to mask, which product to use -- some of which is already available in the XJ forum, I'm sure.

Unread 08-19-2006, 08:24 AM   #30
creature
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee99spt
Creature how is that wayfinder treating you?
eh, it's kindof lame. It gives me a compass and a remote temp sensor (which I mounted on the inner fender brace). All in all it is pretty useless and your better off spending the money on a cheap GPS. and the wayfinder it'self is mounted with suction cups.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.