XJ XJ XJ Cherokee Cheap Mods XJ XJ XJ - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > XJ XJ XJ Cherokee Cheap Mods XJ XJ XJ

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #181
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
IIRC there is at least one that doesnt that is farther south. i know in some states classic/antique cars dont need them, some times it goes by if there were OEM or not
-matt
Not all states require or look for them (WA for example, doesn't look for one, but they do require one). The Feds require them in all states though. Basically, it can be really hard to get caught in some states for not having one. Some people here make a really big deal about it for some reason though.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #182
Cherokee513
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
you might wanna edit this post before a mod sees it, youll get banned
Why would i care? i still got my jeep and my hollowed converter!
Cherokee513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #183
bh1075

alot of places wont even touch a vehicle without a cat

I got into it with a shop over my old ford truck (after 35 years dont even need a inspection) he said he was gonna put one on and charge me for it before he would do my exahust work. After a a few choice words I left and lost some rubber on my tires in his parking lot

also faught the seat belt crap in that ol truck. Got pulled for not having it on and they tried to write tickets several times. They always asked why I was laughing haha rookies.

anyway to be somewhat helpful In NC no inspection after 35 years only safety after, cant remeber, and I think 96 + is safety and emissions.
If it came factory you HAVE TO HAVE IT.

I love being loud but thats all it gains. Unless you runnin some big block with big power its point less to stright pipe something.

and to stay on topic Ive accomplished one more thing on the Cheap mods list. Cut my stock bumper!
NIGHT CREW #023
bh1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #184
evac99
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Does anyone know where to get some net to put over the cubby hole? Ive looked at walmart lowes everywhere.
evac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #185
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evac99 View Post
Does anyone know where to get some net to put over the cubby hole? Ive looked at walmart lowes everywhere.
I've been looking too. Seems a sports net of some type would do it.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Bleed or Quit.
Unread 06-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #186
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Yup cut it, drill holes in the plastic, run it through to the inside, tie a knot on the ends, heat it with a lighter to melt the nylon a little bit, and your done!
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 11:36 PM   #187
xj00
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evac99 View Post
fish net stockings.............. half the fun is getting them
Unread 07-01-2010, 04:48 AM   #188
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumNiner View Post
Yup cut it, drill holes in the plastic, run it through to the inside, tie a knot on the ends, heat it with a lighter to melt the nylon a little bit, and your done!
That's ****ing brilliant.

Quote:
Bleed or Quit.
Unread 07-25-2010, 02:13 AM   #189
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

New junkyard upgrade to submit: A j10 headlight harness is a lot better than the stock xj one. I've been running one for a few weeks now. Hooked it up with the usual diy headlight harness relays, but saved some money not having to buy the wire or the headlight plugs from a store. El-camino (early 70s?) and 80s s10 would work too, but the wire is about the same size as the xj's.

Quote:
Bleed or Quit.
Unread 07-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #190
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Or you could do what i did and run HID's They pull next to nothing and will never overload your stock headlight wiring. I did have a backfeed issue on a 98 XJ once so i just used relays and used the stock switch as a trigger. Worked perfectly.
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #191
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Or you could do what i did and run HID's They pull next to nothing and will never overload your stock headlight wiring. I did have a backfeed issue on a 98 XJ once so i just used relays and used the stock switch as a trigger. Worked perfectly.
but quality ones are expensive and the projector issue is a PITA to figure out. ya you can buy an HID kit for 100 bucks but it wont be good, its a solid 400-500 buck investment and a lot of tinkering, where you can get absolute top of the line H4 conversion for under 300 and pretty much just do plug and play, under 100 if you use autopal ecodes and the eautoworks harness and still buy other bulbs (i think i am 85 bucks in after i bought 100/55w bulbs on amazon and the extra fuses and boxes at autozone)

-matt
mattathayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #192
nmd106
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
And the check engine light which puts your computer in limp mode (diagnostic mode) and hurts your gas mileage and performance.
Odd, mine is also hollowed out, with no check engine light on. Also how can it hurt performance and get you less mpg, yet gain you 1-2 hp of course on a good day?
nmd106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #193
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmd106 View Post
Odd, mine is also hollowed out, with no check engine light on. Also how can it hurt performance and get you less mpg, yet gain you 1-2 hp of course on a good day?
depending on the way the computer reacts to the sensor that is tripped, it can put the motor in limp mode where it doesnt give you an efficient/powerful burn, it drastically reduces the performance. i think it is to protect the motor from damage, or at least that is the idea

-matt
mattathayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #194
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

No cat on a OBDI motor works. Yes you gain 1-2 horse if your lucky. No cat on a OBDII motor doesnt work. You will get CEL if you havent yet your just lucky. When they CEL is on you hurt your economy and power. Why are people obsessed with removing cats. It's pointless! You guys are stuck in the 70s when cats were actually restrictive. Get a good quality cat and you wont even know it's there.
Unread 10-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #195
seanXJ
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96JXJ View Post
Hood vents.

JIM.
How did you do the Hood vent mod? What parts and where do I get them??
Looks so sick
seanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.