XJ Heated Mirror Swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > XJ Heated Mirror Swap?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
thumbstick
2001 FSJ Cherokee 

XJ Heated Mirror Swap?

Anybody have a write up or swapping out the base side mirrors for the fancy heated fellas? Winters on my doorstep in Minnesota and would love to keep the mirrors clear. Getting the actual mirrors off shouldn't be an issue, but I'm totally lose when it comes to the wiring of new switches.

thumbstick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

I have them on my zj. The power wire to the heating elements( mirrors) is spliced into the rear window heater. Then runs to a fuse then to the mirrors. Of course all of this is after the switch and relay. When I get home to computer I can post the wiring schematic and that should help. That should give you an idea of how to wire it up.
jnowak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you have power mirrors and rear window defrost, the swap is plug and play. Get the complete mirror housing from the junkyard, and install it. Mirrors are held on the door by 3 small nuts.

4r5.jpg  

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
hawaii
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Lol what? I am 300 miles from the Arctic circle and have never felt the need or want for heated mirrors.
hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
thumbstick
2001 FSJ Cherokee 

1. Tim thank you that's very helpful.
2. Hawaii heated mirrors are not only helpful the handful of days they ice over (we get ice storms more than I'd like) but they also help with condensation forming due to the foggy area I live. I can agree its not a very important upgrade, but I'd like the experience.
thumbstick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Indy

I wouldn't have put Hawaii on my lift of places that needed heated mirrors

I have them on mine, they come in handy a few times a year. Most options are installed on every vehicle anymore, regardless of whether or not you order it. So all the wiring etc should be in place, just have to swap over the hardware. Many options are actually totally installed, just not hooked up unless you pay for them. Much like the Wrangler gas tanks that are 5gallons less than those that pay for the larger tank. All done with the exact same tank, but a little bitty tube that keeps you from fill it all the way.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.