Wrangler Door Hinges rusted - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Wrangler Door Hinges rusted

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
wisconsinalex
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wrangler Door Hinges rusted

Hey, okay so I bought my Jeep used and the dude I got it from didn't take the doors off much(apparently) so the pins are all rusted and won't come out. I've tried WD-40'ing it and that won't work... Any advice?

The Iron Blueberry- 1976 Ford F100 Ranger XLT

The Thing- 1997 TJ Wrangler (it's a love/hate kinda thing)
wisconsinalex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

Bp Plaster!!!!!!!!!!!
All hail the Plaster gods. This stuff is what you need.Tape off where you don't want hit and go to town.Everbody sells it.I got a two for deal from Autozone.So I always keep two cans in the man cave.Let it sit for 5 or 10 mins should do the trick.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
wisconsinalex
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet! Thanks

Unread 11-04-2011, 02:46 AM   #4
fuzz2010
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Might get confused about that, I think he means PB Blaster.

My Jeep was like yours, I sprayed with PB and when that didn't work I took a punch and hammer to the bottom side of the door pin. If that doesn't work you need a bigger hammer. If your worried about taking the paint off fold up a paper towel a bunch of times and put it in between your brass and tub, and go slow if your really worried about it. Once you get them off take some emory cloth to the door pin and the hinge side to clean out the rust, and reaply some PB to stop it from rusting again.

Once you get them off the first time it will lots easier the next hundred times.
fuzz2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
fillerup
2004 TJ Wrangler 

After spraying the heck out of the pins I had to put a jack under my door to push up on it.
Worked great , a little upward force and wiggle the door back and forth they came right off.
fillerup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
caztj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up using the Jack method too! It does work when nothing else will.
caztj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
wisconsinalex
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillerup View Post
After spraying the heck out of the pins I had to put a jack under my door to push up on it.
Worked great , a little upward force and wiggle the door back and forth they came right off.
And did the jack bend the door frame at all?

Unread 12-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsinalex View Post
And did the jack bend the door frame at all?
You only really need to apply enough force to maintain some upward pressure on the door, while you persuade the hinge pins out. So if this is done with some common sense, there shouldn't be a problem. I'd stick a block of wood in between the jack and door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz2010 View Post
Once you get them off take some emory cloth to the door pin and the hinge side to clean out the rust, and reaply some PB to stop it from rusting again.
I use a little anti-seize. I don't believe that PB would stay on the hinge pin long enough to help with removal.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
tyler_lapointe
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Best thing and simplest that I have always done is just put a 2X4 in between the door ad the frame while the door is slightly open and lift from the back, laws of physics. It's insanely easy to get any stuck door as well as won't cause any damage, the 2X4 with break or get damaged before your jeep!
tyler_lapointe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #10
sean007r
1997 TJ Wrangler 

love the post
had the same problem with mine

had tried the floor jack trick ASAP to no avail (12 months ago)
hit with all kinds of lube including PB Blaster... still nothing

Then today I tried it again
but this time, once the floor jack started to actually lift the whole vehicle by the door hinges I stopped and waited
with in a few minutes I could start seeing the space between the hinges grow
I then started hitting the pins with Liquid Wrench and with a few more minutes POP
the door came free

Lessoned learned though... either hold on to your door the entire time or use something to "hang it" so that when the door finally pops off the hinges it doesn't land on the floor and crease the edges :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

while I had the doors off I hit the hinge pins with sanding paper and antisiezed the crap out of them! :-)
door-free.jpg

sean007r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #11
jlp437
2006 TJ Wrangler 

After trying jacks, hammers, lubricants and penetrants, I used an air hammer and taped all surrounding areas to avoid scratching
jlp437 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.