What is your view on the effectiveness of Air Scoops - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > What is your view on the effectiveness of Air Scoops

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

View Poll Results: Is an Air Scoop worth it?
Yes, Works Great. 2 40.00%
It's ok, I've seen small improvements in heating 1 20.00%
Couldn't hurt, but I haven't noticed a difference 2 40.00%
Not worth it, does nothing. 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 07-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
shawnski
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What is your view on the effectiveness of Air Scoops

I'm planning on doing a few tiny modifications this summer. One of which, I'm considering adding a Air Scoop to the hood of my jeep. The site claims it improves heating/ac efficiency. Which would obviously be nice in the winter. Anyone try one of these out? If so, what was your experience, have you noticed any changes, do you think it's worth it?

By the way, I drive an 04 TJ, and the scoop doesn't look like it would interfere with my windshield sprayer, like it would in earlier models.

If your aren't sure of the part I'm talking about I've linked it below.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/air-scoops-...7148y2004g80j1

Unread 07-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I use one for the vent option in summer and winter. Summer it's facing toward the windshield and moving more air through the cab in the jeep and in the winter it's facing forward and restricting air and keeping the girlfriend happy.
Unread 07-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
shawnski
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks a lot, just installed mine, and I've noticed a difference. Seems to be working fine so far.
Unread 08-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
grymsr
Vintage Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I put a spectra CIA on my jeep and put a scoop over the vent to route more air inside. It works great but you have to watch for debris getting into it. Here its pine needles which are a PITA

Black Jeep Club v1.0 and v2.0 #1776
DR Z MUST BE STOPPED #7
grymsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
PeejPilot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i have one on mine and havent had any bad things happen. and it looks cool, plus it definetly helps direct air into that area of the motor compt.
PeejPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
PeejPilot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

hi lift hood mount is up high enough to clear the vent, although i forsee issue with getting the hood to lock into place in the upright position due to clearance issues- may have to remove jack to accomplish it
320240_907012128664_882279072_n.jpg  
Unread 09-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
Bigbob

Mount it to the rear and put some of that A/C filter material under it to get clean air for your A/C and heater.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
DeFens

That hood-mounted jack scares me a bit. I'd hate to get rear-ended and recover from smacking into the air bag, just in time to see a 30 pound chunk of steel crashing through the windshield at my face!
Unread 09-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #9
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFens
That hood-mounted jack scares me a bit. I'd hate to get rear-ended and recover from smacking into the air bag, just in time to see a 30 pound chunk of steel crashing through the windshield at my face!
There's a thread all about that. That one looks more safe than the other products out there.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You're missing an option for your poll: "I don't care about airflow, I like scoops because they look aggressive."

Because that's me.
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
PeejPilot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, unless the six bolts mounting it to the hood or 3/8ths studs can break without being directly impacted, I'm not too concerned
Unread 12-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
rossd14
2000 XJ Cherokee 

"I don't care about airflow, I like scoops because they look aggressive."

2 votes!
rossd14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning , heater

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.