what is wrong with my car? battery? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > what is wrong with my car? battery?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 11-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
1greg42
2001 WJ 

what is wrong with my car? battery?

Ok so yesterday I went to start the car but it wouldn't start so I jumped it and it started. Then I pulled over to read like 30 seconds after I started. The turn of ignition. Wouldn't start. Jumped it. Stull would start. Then I started pushing it back to the parking spot. Then I tryed and it worked. So we drove around came home and turn it off and tryed couple times and started every time. The next day wouldn't start. The battery I had before was drained because someone tried to break in and alarm went off until dead. So I got a new one at autozone. Also I have amp and subs. But I only connected the negative to the chasis and the 12 volt remote to head unit. I did not connect the positive yet cuz idk where to run it through firewall. This is not a daily driver yet. I move it like once every 2 weeks. But please help. Its embarressing and is very annoying. I also took out the viper alarm too cuz it didn't really work. When I bought this car it started up fine. Help!!!!!

1greg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
rlongsr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You had said you rocked the car back and forth, and it started. Maybe try putting it in neutral, and see if it starts. It is kinda hard to diagnose something like this without being there, but that is something you could try. Another is push the shifter up and hold it forward and try the key. I have had three brand new batteries from Autozone, their economical (cheap) ones, and they were bad. All in a row! Upgraded and no more problems. If you had a battery tester, that could help you see if it is good, or not, plus see if maybe something is drawing power. Just my $.02. Hope it helps
rlongsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
5TOTHE9
1998 ZJ 

Clean your terminals, yes, it just may be that easy

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
5TOTHE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:06 AM   #4
Baitis
2004 WJ 

Clean both ends of the battery cables and attachment points. Vehicles with computers will not tolerate bad ground connections and on older vehicles there are usually multiple ground straps to corrode.
Unread 11-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
1greg42
2001 WJ 

Ok so today I tried it and nothing happened. So I scratched up the terminals and I found a piece of white crust on the negative side. So I scratch the inside of the connector so I can see bare metal. scratched up the termintals too. Then I found a gel the autozone gave me when I bought the battery, I applied it and the turned the key and it lit up for like a second. Then tried to start it No light no nothing. So I jumped it and it started up. And I let it run for a few minutes. Turned it off. Tried to start it. No light no nothing. So now I thing I have a bad battery. The battery I got from autozone was a duralast gold for my model. When I put it in the car it worked fine and started fine. Wtf is wrong!!
Unread 11-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Baitis
2004 WJ 

Battery needs to be load tested and autozone etc will do it free - there's probably a shorted cell.
Unread 11-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greg42 View Post
Ok so today I tried it and nothing happened. So I scratched up the terminals and I found a piece of white crust on the negative side. So I scratch the inside of the connector so I can see bare metal. scratched up the termintals too. Then I found a gel the autozone gave me when I bought the battery, I applied it and the turned the key and it lit up for like a second. Then tried to start it No light no nothing. So I jumped it and it started up. And I let it run for a few minutes. Turned it off. Tried to start it. No light no nothing. So now I thing I have a bad battery. The battery I got from autozone was a duralast gold for my model. When I put it in the car it worked fine and started fine. Wtf is wrong!!
Clean the terminals properly till they shine. Scratching a little of the corosion off is not properly.
Unread 11-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
1greg42
2001 WJ 

The reason I scratched off only corosion is cuz all I had was a screw driver.
Unread 11-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
supbrah

use a Wire Brush then get yourself some terminal spray it will stop the corosion from coming back and see if that works, if not then you need to give us more info so we can help.
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
morrisshammah
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just fixed the battery problem I had. My car would lose power for
No reason when trying to start battery fine but only starts when jumped.
Bought new battery terminal and found a battery cable piece which worked amazing
I also did this so I can plug other acc to the battery without the hassle
Very good for my winch
image.jpg  

Last edited by morrisshammah; 11-18-2013 at 07:00 PM..
morrisshammah is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.