what have you found at the junk yard! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > what have you found at the junk yard!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #76
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ambulances help me!!

I work for a very large Ambulance company. Out back by the maintance bays we have a small 'junkyard' of old trucks....... and let me tell you....old crashed or scraped ambulances are a plethra of useful stuff.

First, practically every ambulance has a traction system called an OnSpot (that dangling set of chains you see under school busses and stuff) Point being, these systems are run by a 12v compressor. All of the tanks and plumbing is there as well. Makes for an easy pilage.

If you need switches or wire, my god!! Hundreds of feet of wire, all different gauges. Relays...each truck probably has over a hundred relays. These trucks also seem to be an almost unimitless source of Aluminum diamond plate and sheet. Some models are made entirely from aluminum! Great for fabbing projects. Handles, latches, hinges, these things are the holy grail of parts!

Squamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #77
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squamer View Post
I work for a very large Ambulance company. Out back by the maintance bays we have a small 'junkyard' of old trucks....... and let me tell you....old crashed or scraped ambulances are a plethra of useful stuff.

First, practically every ambulance has a traction system called an OnSpot (that dangling set of chains you see under school busses and stuff) Point being, these systems are run by a 12v compressor. All of the tanks and plumbing is there as well. Makes for an easy pilage.

If you need switches or wire, my god!! Hundreds of feet of wire, all different gauges. Relays...each truck probably has over a hundred relays. These trucks also seem to be an almost unimitless source of Aluminum diamond plate and sheet. Some models are made entirely from aluminum! Great for fabbing projects. Handles, latches, hinges, these things are the holy grail of parts!

I always wondered what those chains where for, now I know! Thanks.
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #78
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm... lets see...

Sawed off side by side 12 ga.
Human teeth
A box full of brand new relays.
Enough rusty metal pokes to warrant a tetanus booster.
I found a D44 fully removed and sitting on the ground. I ran back to get something to cart it off in, and came back and it was gone... I waited by the gate for over an hour and never saw it again.

and, while I was looking for stock jeep switches, a guy two rows of cars over found a finger in the engine bay of a truck...
Unread 05-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #79
Nightwalker
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
Hmm... lets see...

Sawed off side by side 12 ga.
Human teeth
A box full of brand new relays.
Enough rusty metal pokes to warrant a tetanus booster.
I found a D44 fully removed and sitting on the ground. I ran back to get something to cart it off in, and came back and it was gone... I waited by the gate for over an hour and never saw it again.

and, while I was looking for stock jeep switches, a guy two rows of cars over found a finger in the engine bay of a truck...
Dirty metal is what axctualy gives you tetanus, not rust.

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Red"]"Give Life" Donate a pint of blood.[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

"This place is like a fine drug.

It's easy to start, hard to quit, you lose sleep over it, you lose money because of it, and you put up with alot of **** from some people associated with it. But no matter what you never wanna give it up."

Can't sleep?
Join [url]http://www.nightcrew.org/index.php[/url]
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #80
jrhord6

But you forgot to factor in the fact that the white powder found in the door could be pure and once it is stepped on a few times it could very well be worth the estimated street value.
jrhord6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #81
kfcandtanq
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

tons of parts for my 85 Wagoneer

- full set of signal light lenses and side marker lenses/frames.
- matching set of mint rear tailights
- set of 4 factory floormats
- set of 4 inner/outer rubber window seals
- 4 good condition centrecaps
- mint set of inner door pulls c/w chrome ends, handles, and doorlock knobs
- 3 rear and 2 front seatbelt buckles
- "newer" used alternator and wiring harness c/w correct length resistance wire
- nearly new 800 cca Interstate battery

- The best find of ALL!! COMPLETE fenders/doors/tailgate plastic wood trim that frames around the woodgrain vinyl. Mine was missing about 1/2 of it when I bought it, and what was left was pretty beat up. This used trim was not mint, but in very good shape.

All of that for 160 bucks.

It was more than I planned on spending that day, but I knew how quick that thing would be stripped out!
kfcandtanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #82
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I guess my best trip was the one that got me an OHC and 2 sets of the dome light pods from a Chrys T&C for $14 OTD!
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #83
Keith
Admin

There was one junkyard we would go axle searching that always had wrecked vehicles with blood sprayed all over the interior. Like the owner was after those specific ones, "Got blood? We buy it!"

Glock Forum
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #84
TennesseeYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillwill View Post
Not a single TJ. Seriously, i don't know why, but there are zero TJ's in any Nashville area scrap yards. I call all the time, nothing. I think it is a conspiracy.
I have never seen a wrangler of any type in any of the Nashville area junkyards!! Seen an old mail Jeep in Portland TN once. But there was nothing left to salvage.

http://www.poweraddicts.com/
TennesseeYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #85
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Found am 8.8 for $125.

ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #86
bentbolt
2004 WJ 

Real dz302 small block Chevy complete with double humps and cross ram. One carb was missing. $350
bentbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #87
Carl24Rawson
1997 ZJ 

Anything that will lift a ZJ? Taller/longer coils and shocks?
Carl24Rawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #88
TennesseeYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon83 View Post
I know this is old but if you find an 87-88 T-bird Turbo they will have the same 8.8 as the Mustang but came with rear disc factory.

The best thing I have ever found at a junk yard was a few adult movies/mags.
Also, '94 GT Mustangs came with the rear disk brake 8.8's. I have one under my '84 GT w/Motorsport 3:73's.

I scored 2 complete matching DSM turbo's in solid shape for $40 ea. They were meant for my Mustang. Five years later they are still sitting in the top storage area of my little shop. Hmmmm ... will they fit the Jeep??? LOL
TennesseeYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #89
04Unlimired
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillwill
Not a single TJ. Seriously, i don't know why, but there are zero TJ's in any Nashville area scrap yards. I call all the time, nothing. I think it is a conspiracy.
same here in macon
04Unlimired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 01:10 AM   #90
BROWNING3250CAL
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettefever5 View Post
i found a butt plug in the back seat of a honda civic....
And? Did you buy it?
BROWNING3250CAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axel , jeep parts , junk yard , truck

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.