ways to make your jeep sound louder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > ways to make your jeep sound louder

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
d_diesel27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ways to make your jeep sound louder

Im looking for any cheap ways to make my jeep any louder. I dont want the loud jap car noise but a low throaty noise. I already have a flow master muffler and a cold air intake by spectre. Are there any other ways to change the sound and not spend a ton of money?

d_diesel27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Take a sawzall, cut the pipe in front of the catalytic converter, enjoy your pointlessly loud exhaust. Louder does not equal better, and 4.0s don't sound very nice anyway.

Those tow hooks aren't there for me. They're there for the XJs.
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
drexelsteve
2013 JK Wrangler 

Nobody likes to be stuck on the trail behind "that guy" for 8 hours.
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
d_diesel27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thats not what I'm asking from either of you, im talking about any other upgrades. I said low throaty noise not loud jap car noise
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Try a different Flowmaster. There's 30 series , 40 series , super 44, 50, 60, 70 search YouTube till you find the sound you want then go buy that muffler.

Sent from my XT881freeze ray gun using JeepForum
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_diesel27 View Post
Thats not what I'm asking from either of you, im talking about any other upgrades. I said low throaty noise not loud jap car noise
"low throaty"

There's only one way to do that with the 4.0. Cut the catback off, rev to 3500. You get this nice throaty growl. At 130dB. The neighbors will hate you. But it's so worth it. For about 5 minutes. After that, you're tired of it and you haven't even gotten it under load yet. That's when it really gets loud.

Unfortunately, the 4.0 is not a nice-sounding engine and doesn't do "throaty" well.

Also, cut the "jap car" comparison nonsense. That's just Hondas and the way you say it makes you sound like some backward idiot. Your statement also suggests your knowledge of why riced Hondas sound like that is lacking. Suffice it to say the size of the 4.0 precludes that noise, whereas the smaller engine of say a 2.0l Prelude makes that sort of sound with a big resonated exhaust. Both are the same effect, but 4 cylinders makes a different noise than 6, and the effects of displacement carry through to exhaust note, as do revs.

Do a little research, please, on what causes the sounds you particularly like, because all anyone here can tell you is "well Flowmaster makes mufflers of various sound" and that loud, "throaty" exhausts aren't always better. If you're dead-set on noise alone, just clamp a cheap Cherry Bomb under there and call it a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexelsteve View Post
Nobody likes to be stuck on the trail behind "that guy" for 8 hours.
^ I hate that guy. I can't hear my spotter dammit.

Unread 12-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I guess I'm from a different generation. I grew up where any bad*** car or truck worth its salt was very loud. Makes a statement. I shake my head when I see a fully decked out JKU with six inch lift, D-ringed rock bumpers, 35 or 37 inch muds, winch et al rolls by whisper quiet. Makes me kinda laugh.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
My magnaflow produces a nice low growl - not obnoxious at all.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

A car should only be loud when the hammer is down. You only look and sound like an idiot if you're rolling by at cruise doing 40 and you're shattering windows.

Unread 12-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
d_diesel27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC
A car should only be loud when the hammer is down. You only look and sound like an idiot if you're rolling by at cruise doing 40 and you're shattering windows.
really not what anyone was going for here
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_diesel27 View Post
really not what anyone was going for here
OP already has a flowmaster? The only way to make it "throatier" would be to cut the muffler out entirely and make it stupidly loud all the time.

The 4.0 is not a good-sounding engine and it doesn't have a lot of exhaust volume, so it's difficult to get a good sound out of it without some serious acoustic engineering. Even then, the best notes from the 4.0 come between 3k and 4k, not the range you'd normally want the engine to be in.

Unread 12-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

My vote is straight pipe through the hood...this always makes it super non ricer and throaty....Or do a 90* upturn into a hole you cut into the floor of the cab, that way you can hear it better when it is throaty....

If 1 flow master sounds good, then 3 in series must sound super good!
dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
4Xwheeler

Straight pipe

Hopefully this will help your question with no obnoxious playing. I had an old system which I cut the flange off of. I then found some exhaust tubing ( about 2 feet), welded one end to the flange and added a turn down on the end. I took a litle bit of wire mesh, rolled it up, slid it into the pipe and formed the end to block the flow just a little bit to help with back pressure. The steel mesh comes in Different shapes so you can play with or " tune" your pipe to what suites you best.

Note: If you have too little back pressure you'll throw codes when stepping on the pedal while trying to pass someone on the street. It will also pop and sputter while the computer freaks out trying to adjust the mixture.

Now before all the anti-volume, straight pipe haters chime in again, this does give the jeep a low, throaty tone thats not too ear rattling. The reason why I did this with my Jeep is because I didn't want to unintetionally destroy my muffler, which I NEED for smogging every two years, while im playing crawler over rocks. True- it probably won't happen very often or at all for that matter but for me a $15 pipe is easier to fix than a $200 cat back set up. Now I just swap it back and forth when necessary.
4Xwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
RARECJ8

be sure to invest in some ear plugs too. good luck and pity on your neighbors.

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
RKNTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a magnaflow muffler and high flow cat and mine is throaty and really sounds good at 3000 or higher rpms.
RKNTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.