Using a wire rack for overhead storage and fastening - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Using a wire rack for overhead storage and fastening

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and TERAFLEX JK Speed bump kit AND limiting strap kit!! AT ROCRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Reply
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
Unlimited_Fun
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 34
Using a wire rack for overhead storage and fastening

There's a guy on ebay that sells great quality steel Molle stuff for jeeps. I've bought some of this stuff and had my eye on an overhead rack he makes.

However I really want a LOT of attachment area so I'm considering buying the Black Epoxy Coated Deluxe Grid Panel for Retail Display 2' x 4' Priced 3 Per Carton from Amazon for $52 delivered.

I measured the width of the Wrangler and see 3 areas where I can span this by securing to the roll bar padding.

This gives me aaaaallll that space to attach stuff, electronics etc and maybe even my CB.

I already have tons of velcro, so my thoughts are to just use plastic wire ties and velcro to secure so it can't slide or bounce or rattle.

Thoughts?

Unlimited_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
justin credible
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ogden, Utah
Posts: 317
Like this?


Xterra people have been using cheap wire racks from the hardware store for years.
They work well for the budget minded.
justin credible is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Unlimited_Fun
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 34
Hey thanks for that!

I have padded roll bars, but basically the same concept. This will be my camping rig with a lot of extra lighting and peripherals etc, so I will probably just secure lightweight stuff to the bottom.

I like the looks of that though and might repro.


.
Unlimited_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Indy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 3,355
Don't they sell that stuff for $5/piece at lowes and home depot?
__________________
I'm the only gay eskimo.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Unlimited_Fun
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 34
They sell a lightweight flimsier example. This pieces I was considering is 1\4" thick metal.

I ordered it, it arrived and I put it in place for the proof of concept.

The front is also clamped beneath the tops. It's so strapped down and helped by the tops as to not rattle or be movable when I try to push on it etc.

The rear roof is also on top of the roll bars and behind the speakers, secured, non rattling.

The last one I put on the back side of the roll bars as they go down toward the tailgate.

This is is good for larger stuff and gives me both sides to affix to.

The pic posted has a lip on it and the racks I ordered does not, just flat.

I plan to paint metal bands black and use them for holding everything in place.
Unlimited_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
Texas16
Member
 
Texas16's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited_Fun
They sell a lightweight flimsier example. This pieces I was considering is 1\4" thick metal. I ordered it, it arrived and I put it in place for the proof of concept. The front is also clamped beneath the tops. It's so strapped down and helped by the tops as to not rattle or be movable when I try to push on it etc. The rear roof is also on top of the roll bars and behind the speakers, secured, non rattling. The last one I put on the back side of the roll bars as they go down toward the tailgate. This is is good for larger stuff and gives me both sides to affix to. The pic posted has a lip on it and the racks I ordered does not, just flat. I plan to paint metal bands black and use them for holding everything in place.
Unlimited Fun, can you post some pics of your setup? I'm thinking of doing this. I carry a lot of MOLLE stuff in my LJ and this sounds like a cheap easy fun project to try out.
Texas16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
Unlimited_Fun
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 34
Hey just saw your question. Sure, I have plenty of pics.

I've had three of these mounted since I posted, they're reenforced with metal bands and large wire ties, they're not budging a bit. They don't rattle at all.

If you use something like QuickGrips with them, you just need a solid backplate for the screws.

Is this PhotoBucket thread visible to you?
Unlimited_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2015, 06:54 AM   #8
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: , MO
Posts: 10,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited_Fun View Post
There's a guy on ebay that sells great quality steel Molle stuff for jeeps. I've bought some of this stuff and had my eye on an overhead rack he makes.

However I really want a LOT of attachment area so I'm considering buying the Black Epoxy Coated Deluxe Grid Panel for Retail Display 2' x 4' Priced 3 Per Carton from Amazon for $52 delivered.

I measured the width of the Wrangler and see 3 areas where I can span this by securing to the roll bar padding.

This gives me aaaaallll that space to attach stuff, electronics etc and maybe even my CB.

I already have tons of velcro, so my thoughts are to just use plastic wire ties and velcro to secure so it can't slide or bounce or rattle.

Thoughts?
I have a TJ. If I placed any racks in back I would lose toomuch head room for passengers in the rear, not sure if that is an issue withthe JKs.
My original goal was just a place to hang my CB. I used a bedrail cut it and mounted it between the roll bars and hung my radio from that. Very sturdy. I took some heavier metal shelving I had laying around. Some is heavier than others. My shelving is not as heavy duty as the pic above but the bedrail is very heavy duty. I used some hose clamps to clamp the shelf to the bedrail and roll bar. It can hold sleeping bars, MREs, rifles, fishing poles and tackle etc.

__________________
01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor.
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #9
Unlimited_Fun
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 34
Thx for the pics! Good CB placement.

This is basically what I did, just with larger racks secured to the roll bars with hose clamps.

I'd like to see the bedrail setup you mention, if you have pics of that also.


.
Unlimited_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #10
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: , MO
Posts: 10,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited_Fun View Post
Thx for the pics! Good CB placement.

This is basically what I did, just with larger racks secured to the roll bars with hose clamps.

I'd like to see the bedrail setup you mention, if you have pics of that also.


.
I used the bed rail to support the wire rack. My CB is mounted to the bed rail. You can see it in my top pic running down the middle of the wire rack. The bedrail is bolted to my roll bar. The wire rack is attached to the bed rail and roll bar with hose clamps.
__________________
01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor.
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #11
Unlimited_Fun
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
The bedrail is bolted to my roll bar. The wire rack is attached to the bed rail and roll bar with hose clamps.
That's the part I was after, sorry for not being clear. I can see it in the pic, just can't quite make out how you did it. I wasn't clear about the word bolted and the use of hose clamps. I just ran my hose clamps around the padding until it was firmly in place and wouldn't slide or budge etc. They haven't moved a bit since I put them in.



.
Unlimited_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #12
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: , MO
Posts: 10,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited_Fun View Post
That's the part I was after, sorry for not being clear. I can see it in the pic, just can't quite make out how you did it. I wasn't clear about the word bolted and the use of hose clamps. I just ran my hose clamps around the padding until it was firmly in place and wouldn't slide or budge etc. They haven't moved a bit since I put them in.



.
I took the bedrails and cut them so I could drill through the roll bar and the "tab" I left on the bedrail and bolt the two together. I bolted the radio to this. That was the extent of my plan BUT then noticed some wire shelves sitting over in the corner of my garage. I used hose clamps to attach the shelf.
__________________
01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor.
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #13
Unlimited_Fun
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 34
Ahhh gotcha


Nice work, I like how you used the CB bracket with the wire rack.




.
Unlimited_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.