Two Jeeps, one key. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Two Jeeps, one key.

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 02-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #16
00rt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyguy View Post
I am a certified locksmith and I work on vehicles and there transponders.

The grey key is a valey key. It only allows the user to work the ignition. The grey key should not work the glove box or gas cap, if so equipped.

The black key is your master key that will work everything.

You can have one car keyed the same as the other as they should be the same keyway I believe. so the same key will work all the way around...but you would have to go to your local **BONDED** locksmith(you dont want to mess with non-bonded locksmiths as they screw people over to much)and get them to program all keys to both cars.

The keys have a set 16 digit code and they use a machine to access the computer on the vehicle and tell the computer to accept the new codes.

However, there are clone keys also. they start with the code: 0000000000000000. and with the right sequence of opening and shutting your door, turning the ignition on and off a few times and touching the brake pedal will enter a training mode on the car where you can clone keys to the same 16 digit code on your key.

in summary yes it is very possible....but this will cost you about 200 dollars if your lucky....my shop would charge about 300 dollars to do it....

Also, to get your transponder keys copied it generally costs 95 bucks. Dealers here in fresno charge 175 for a duplicate.

hope I helped in some way.
No late-model Chrysler vehicles come with a valet key. ALL transponder keys are gray whether it be a Dodge, Jeep, or Chrysler. ALL non-transponder keys are black. You cannot program a Chrysler Sentry key with any door opening sequence or anything like that. There are only 2 ways to program a sentry key into the SKIM; using a DRBIII and the vehicle's PIN(which MUST be obtained from a Chrysler dealer) or by using the "customer learn procedure" and 2 existing, programmed keys.

00rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #17
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboyts View Post
is this anything like 2 girls, 1 cup?
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #18
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboyts View Post
is this anything like 2 girls, 1 cup?
I just threw up a little in my mouth...

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #19
go4x4it
1998 ZJ 

You wont believe this.. I have a key from my previous XJ.. I dont know why I kept it, but I did..
One day, my buddy and I were driving an Intertrashonal truck. their key design is the same as a Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler key. I had heard that the int'l trucks dont have too many key designs, so I grabbed my XJ key to my suprise, it unlocked the door and started the truck. So given this light, i tried it on my ZJ, and 3 other XJ's They ALL work. I dont know whats up with that.. but I seem to have a fairly universal key..
Unread 02-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #20
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4x4it View Post
You wont believe this.. I have a key from my previous XJ.. I dont know why I kept it, but I did..
One day, my buddy and I were driving an Intertrashonal truck. their key design is the same as a Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler key. I had heard that the int'l trucks dont have too many key designs, so I grabbed my XJ key to my suprise, it unlocked the door and started the truck. So given this light, i tried it on my ZJ, and 3 other XJ's They ALL work. I dont know whats up with that.. but I seem to have a fairly universal key..
I believe it. One day I was washing my Jeep and my girl's Jeep. I backed mine out of the driveway to swap hers in and stopped in between to pick up her keys and have a drink. When I started her jeep I thought something was wrong with the ignition because the key didn't want to come right out afterward. Come to find out I had never actually grabbed her keys. Both wranglers were keyed almost identical; close enough for the same key to work, same key woudln't open the doors tho.

They're a 2001 TJ 4 Banger (hers) and a 2005 TJ X Willys Edition (mine). She's my ex now so I sometimes wonder if I should have mine re-keyed LMFAO!
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #21
surfsefl
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You need to trade your TJ in for a good ol' YJ! You might not have to do anything.... my roommate in college and I both had 1990 YJ's and some how our keys worked on both!
surfsefl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #22
go4x4it
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
I believe it. One day I was washing my Jeep and my girl's Jeep. I backed mine out of the driveway to swap hers in and stopped in between to pick up her keys and have a drink. When I started her jeep I thought something was wrong with the ignition because the key didn't want to come right out afterward. Come to find out I had never actually grabbed her keys. Both wranglers were keyed almost identical; close enough for the same key to work, same key woudln't open the doors tho.

They're a 2001 TJ 4 Banger (hers) and a 2005 TJ X Willys Edition (mine). She's my ex now so I sometimes wonder if I should have mine re-keyed LMFAO!
LMAO maybe you should... Ex's can do some crazy things.

I have one more vehicle to add to the roster.. my friends 2003 WJ. Door and ignition. Wont start cause of the sentry key.
Unread 03-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #23
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsefl View Post
You need to trade your TJ in for a good ol' YJ! You might not have to do anything.... my roommate in college and I both had 1990 YJ's and some how our keys worked on both!
Still have my YJ Key...doesn't work in the TJ tho...
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #24
HotSauceJunky
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This thread turned out more fun than I would have imagined. I was camping a couple of years back with my boss and he locked his keys in his 94 K Blazer and as a joke I offered him the keys to my 91 Chevy Astro van. Well needless to say they opened his door! Checked the ignition keys and those weren't a match, but we had a hell of a laugh!
HotSauceJunky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 02:30 AM   #25
Jameslol
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Would be sweet if it works, my jeep key opens my girlfriends sundance and my friends lebaron (he can use a VW Jetta key to get in tho so idk about that one haha) but neither of there keys work on the xj lol
C4x4 Front tow hooks.
Nates 4x4 rear bumper w/receiver and shackles
Iron rock offroad double shear adj trackbar
Jameslol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #26
BilliardJK
2015 JK Wrangler 

The TJ I used to own you could take the key out of the ignition without shutting off the vehicle. You could pull the key, leave the engine running, lock all the doors, and run into the video store. The key had just worn or something, I didn't do so often as it still felt weird.
BilliardJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #27
saleen032
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyguy View Post
I am a certified locksmith and I work on vehicles and there transponders.

The grey key is a valey key. It only allows the user to work the ignition. The grey key should not work the glove box or gas cap, if so equipped.

The black key is your master key that will work everything.

You can have one car keyed the same as the other as they should be the same keyway I believe. so the same key will work all the way around...but you would have to go to your local **BONDED** locksmith(you dont want to mess with non-bonded locksmiths as they screw people over to much)and get them to program all keys to both cars.

The keys have a set 16 digit code and they use a machine to access the computer on the vehicle and tell the computer to accept the new codes.

However, there are clone keys also. they start with the code: 0000000000000000. and with the right sequence of opening and shutting your door, turning the ignition on and off a few times and touching the brake pedal will enter a training mode on the car where you can clone keys to the same 16 digit code on your key.

in summary yes it is very possible....but this will cost you about 200 dollars if your lucky....my shop would charge about 300 dollars to do it....

Also, to get your transponder keys copied it generally costs 95 bucks. Dealers here in fresno charge 175 for a duplicate.

hope I helped in some way.
If you are a certified locksmith, then you should know that the Jeep Transponder keys are GREY..... the black keys are for trucks that do not have the transponder system in them...This was the case from !998 to about 2005, depending on the specific vehicle....starting in 2004, Chrysler went to a newer type transponder system, using the keys with the remote built into it....A non-remote key is also available, it will be tan in color...And there are no such "clone keys" that will work for the Chryslers that way...Now for the OP, if both keys are black, then you WILL be able to rekey the trucks...cost may be the only factor, a locksmith will have the face caps needed for the job......BTW, I am a licensed locksmith in NJ for over 16 yrs....
saleen032 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #28
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

If we are still talking about good old non-chipped keys (i kinda lost track).... then why not key both your Jeep's doors to match, and wire up a push-button starter....

Ign Cyl's have Off, ACC, Run and Start... right? you can have 1 unmarked switch for ACC/Run, and another momentary switch for Start... Just flip them in the right order, and you're rollin...

I know it sounds complicated to deal with everyday, but i have a buddy that DD's a Lotus Elise, and you have to get in, turn off the alarm, put the key in and turn it to Run, then press a separate Start button like an S2000.... it sucks till you get used to it, but it is pretty cool in theory
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #29
02tjsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Why cant you key the non-SKIM jeep's ignition the same as the SKIM jeep's key?
'02 TJ Sport - 3.5" RE Springs/Mono-tubes; BFG A/T 33x12.50x15 on ProComp Black Steelies; JKS: BPE's, 1.25" BL, shock conversion, front Adj. TB's, quick discos, Extended Brake lines; FT 3-link rear; JCR 1-ton Steering; Warn 6" Flares; Olympic Slider Bumpers; OME SS; Taurus Electric Fan; 4.88 Gears; D30/D44 Detroit True-Trac Front/Rear;
02tjsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #30
Noodles_24
1949 CJ3A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan318 View Post
If we are still talking about good old non-chipped keys (i kinda lost track).... then why not key both your Jeep's doors to match, and wire up a push-button starter....

Ign Cyl's have Off, ACC, Run and Start... right? you can have 1 unmarked switch for ACC/Run, and another momentary switch for Start... Just flip them in the right order, and you're rollin...

I know it sounds complicated to deal with everyday, but i have a buddy that DD's a Lotus Elise, and you have to get in, turn off the alarm, put the key in and turn it to Run, then press a separate Start button like an S2000.... it sucks till you get used to it, but it is pretty cool in theory
I had something like that in my cj5 when i still drove that. my problem was i didn't own doors or a top so what i did was i made a box out of PVC plastic, put a locking cylinder like you see on a glass electronics case at walmart on it to cover the switches. Yes switches, i had one for all power, the next over was for my lights (4 kc day lighters), a couple more for other doodads and a momentary switch for ignition. it sure sounded sweet when it was fired up and you flipped a switch to get the v8 rumble. It would be hard for you to do something like that in your jeeps is because of the locking steering column.

If any one wants i can find the pics and my wiring diagram for my switch panel.
Noodles_24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.