Two Jeeps, one key. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Cheap Tricks & Fixes > Two Jeeps, one key.

Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 01-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
HotSauceJunky
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Two Jeeps, one key.

I have two Jeeps (02 TJ,01 XJ) and think it would be cool to be able to carry just one key. Does anyone know if the lock cylinder is keyed to both sides of the key? I know on my old Ford you could get each side of the key cut to a specific car. I figured it this would be a cheap thing to try, but Wal-Mart and Home-Depot key cutting machines seem to be set up to duplicate both sides at the same time. May need to go to a locksmith. You can tell I'm financially challenged when I'm thinking of things like this as a "cool mod" but hey it would still count right?

HotSauceJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Any particular reason you can't either swap out the lock cylinders entirely, or just re-key them to the same key? I had a batch of RENIX rigs (four) that all answered to the same set of keys after I re-keyed all of the cylinders. Really shrunk my keyring...
Unread 01-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
lowbowtie
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think you could do this even if they were key'ed the same, because I'm almost positive your keys have different transpoders built in them. The key radiates an rf signal that your key tumbler recognizes upon starting.

However, it could be bypassed but at the cost of another dealer programmed key glued under the ignition. At this point I dont think it would fall into the Cheap Tricks forum.
lowbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

am i the only one? ...2 jeeps, 1 key? anyone?
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, as long as only one(or neither) vehicle has the SKIM key(Sentry Key Immobilizer Module) you should be able to re-key your lock cylinders for one of the vehicles and be fine.

You have SKIM if your key or keys are grey. If both are grey then there's no easy way of doing it short of disabling SKIM on one of the vehicles at the dealer($).

Assuming you've got the SKIM key issue covered then there's no reason you can't use 1 key for 2 vehicles. Just make sure the key you have is programmed for the SKIM vehicle(if one of them has it), and know that your non-SKIM key will not start your SKIM equipped vehicle(but it will open your door).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
Mini-Me26
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchVA View Post
am i the only one? ...2 jeeps, 1 key? anyone?
Well, Jeeps do tend to get us into ****.
Mini-Me26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
kboyts
1999 XJ Cherokee 

is this anything like 2 girls, 1 cup?
kboyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 01:27 AM   #8
Fen
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
Well, as long as only one(or neither) vehicle has the SKIM key(Sentry Key Immobilizer Module)
Are you sure? That's what I thought initially, then I considered it more. The vehicle can be programmed to use any SKIM key (that's how I read my manual anyway) and I assume the key is a dumb transponder, so I think both vehicles could be set up to accept the same SKIM key. Only the key would "know" it could operate two vehicles and it doesn't have any intelligence built in - or does it? What I don't know is the cost of that programming which could stop it being a cheap mod.

To be honest this had never crossed my mind but having picked up Jeep #2 yesterday and already trying to start it with Jeep #1's key by mistake it sounds like a good idea. Only one of mine has SKIM anyway so it should be possible for me at least.
Fen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen View Post
Are you sure? That's what I thought initially, then I considered it more. The vehicle can be programmed to use any SKIM key (that's how I read my manual anyway) and I assume the key is a dumb transponder, so I think both vehicles could be set up to accept the same SKIM key. Only the key would "know" it could operate two vehicles and it doesn't have any intelligence built in - or does it? What I don't know is the cost of that programming which could stop it being a cheap mod.

To be honest this had never crossed my mind but having picked up Jeep #2 yesterday and already trying to start it with Jeep #1's key by mistake it sounds like a good idea. Only one of mine has SKIM anyway so it should be possible for me at least.
You need the Chrysler DRB-III to do the programming, but the problem is that I THINK you need to buy a new/reman PCM in order to change the SKIM code in the PCM.

I haven't been a Chrysler tech for a bit over a year, I worked at a Dodge dealership for almost 2 years so some of this info is fuzzy to me but slowly coming back so here goes:

The DRB-III can program SKIM keys as long as you have one that is already programmed for it to "copy." If not you can call a Chrysler dealer and they can look up the SKIM code, it is a 4-digit number. IIRC the dealer will charge about $10 to look up the code, but it really costs them nothing to do.

I'm basing the fact that you need to replace the PCM with a new one on the fact that on SRT-4s, the factory PCMs once is plugged in needs programmed to the VIN and SKIM code, and it is not transferrable to any other SRT-4s. This is why anyone trying an SRT-4 motor swap into older Neons or whatever generally just buy a new Stage 2 PCM as every factory PCM is no good as the SKIM is PITA to get around. Buy a new/blank PCM and you'll have no issues with SKIM.

edit:

Found a good thread on another forum about PCM/SKIM programming:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...-computer.html

One big problem you may have is that you will need to buy new keys(they can only be programmed once). I don't know what the going rate is, but I'd guess about $100+ each. Probably closer to $150 or 200 after programming. I know it's something ridiculous. As long as you've got one working SKIM key you can program more in "customer learn mode." Google DRB + SKIM for a lot of good info.

Best bet is to buy a PCM without SKIM. Should work perfectly fine aside from not having the coded keys necessary for deterring theft.

In a nutshell, unless you have only one vehicle with SKIM it will be a total PITA to do. I'm not entirely sure if you can rewrite the SKIM code into the PCM. If memory serves me correctly, the 4-digit SKIM code is learned and programmed to the VIN number(also stored in the PCM) from the factory, which is why I think a brand new PCM is needed.

Oh, and if you want to experiment with this yourself, I think the going rate for a DRB-III is about $6000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand...motiveQ5fTools

Lowest I've ever seen one was like $3000 or $4000 used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.

Last edited by flatlander757; 01-23-2009 at 11:49 PM..
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #10
oxiderush
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i watched a youtube video, where a jeeper took one key, and re-keyed 1/2 doors, full doors, ignition and tailgate of 2 jeeps. it not only can be done, but seems easy. You just need to pull the cylinder and repin it. The pins that move up and down depending on the depth of cut on the key.

On a similar note, my jeep key unlocked and started my dads 98 dodge ram. Both daimler-chrystler.
oxiderush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

my wife's 99 xj had some issues with the ignition cylinder lock. had it re-keyed (and obviously replaced worn parts while it was out) to match my 07 jk. works like a charm. neither one of your jeeps should have a skim key, but even if one does (i don't think the xj will), just key the other one to match the chipped key. it's easy. now i'd say it's cheap if you do it yourself, but it runs about 85 bucks to have a locksmith come out and rekey it for you. then again, the old key was stuck in the ignition anyway.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
00rt
2008 WK 

Just to clear up the sentry key issue here. Keys are tied to a SKIM, and SKIMs are tied to a key. A SKIM can only ever have 8 keys programmed in it. Once a key is in there, it can never be removed. Each key is tied to a particular vehicle as well. Once you program a key to one SKIM, it can never be used in another. There are 2 ways to add a key, if you have 2 of them you can teach it yourself using the "customer learn procedure". If you only have one, you need a DRBIII and your car's PIN. You can only get this PIN from the dealer so even if you hae a DRBIII, you can't do anything without a code from Chrysler's computer system. For this reason, I highly recommend everyone with 2 keys make themselves a third in case one is lost. That will let you avoid a costly dealer trip. SKIMs are also tied to PCMs. You can't replace one without programming the other.
00rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
HotSauceJunky
2002 TJ Wrangler 

2jeeps one key

Glad to see a few of you got a kick out of the subject line. I hadn't really thought about the RF transponder thing because I usually only own old stuff. The two jeeps in question are a 01 XJ and 02 TJ both with the black non-transponder key blanks. I could do something smart like label the keys, but I always end up with the wrong key. I think I'll go the locksmith route and post back with my findings, as I can see that a lot of the people on the forum have multiple jeeps and just having one less key is something. I remember making fun of my dad because he carried all of this crap in pockets (pocket knife, leatherman, tape measure, etc) and now I find myself in the same boat.
HotSauceJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
keyguy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am a certified locksmith and I work on vehicles and there transponders.

The grey key is a valey key. It only allows the user to work the ignition. The grey key should not work the glove box or gas cap, if so equipped.

The black key is your master key that will work everything.

You can have one car keyed the same as the other as they should be the same keyway I believe. so the same key will work all the way around...but you would have to go to your local **BONDED** locksmith(you dont want to mess with non-bonded locksmiths as they screw people over to much)and get them to program all keys to both cars.

The keys have a set 16 digit code and they use a machine to access the computer on the vehicle and tell the computer to accept the new codes.

However, there are clone keys also. they start with the code: 0000000000000000. and with the right sequence of opening and shutting your door, turning the ignition on and off a few times and touching the brake pedal will enter a training mode on the car where you can clone keys to the same 16 digit code on your key.

in summary yes it is very possible....but this will cost you about 200 dollars if your lucky....my shop would charge about 300 dollars to do it....

Also, to get your transponder keys copied it generally costs 95 bucks. Dealers here in fresno charge 175 for a duplicate.

hope I helped in some way.
keyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #15
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboyts View Post
is this anything like 2 girls, 1 cup?
Thats what I was thinking

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.